Can pectic enzyme be added to UV Pasteurized anyway?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copper

Reaction score
I'm starting a batch of cider this weekend. My ideal is to end up with as clear of a finish as I can manage; it is just a matter of preference. I have a few gallons of 100% organic bottled apple juice (Sprouts Organic Apple Juice) and it comes very cloudy (unfiltered?). There are no preservatives, but the bottle does state that the juice is pasteurized.

From reading all of the excellent information on this site (you guys are :rockin: !), I understand that pectic enzyme isn't required for clarification in UV pasteurized juice. I have been attempting to contact the product manager and grocery buyer for Sprouts to try and track down how the juice is pasteurized when they buy it, but so far the guy hasn't returned my calls.

Will there be any ill effect to to the cider if I add the pectic enzyme anyway?

should be none. i've done some 'simple juice' wines and most of those recipes include pectic enzyme as an insurance policy.
use at the dosage per their label and it should have no detectable or negative impact on the finished cider aside from hopefully ensuring clarity.

i've made apple juice based stuff but never anything as pure as what you've got, but I did not use pectic enzyme and they all came out crystal clear without using any finings in secondary.

Back