Brew Books

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briewer2

Reaction score
Brewers...
I'm going to buy homebrewers garden on amazon cuz Im planting my first hops. I was wondering if there is any other books pertaining to brewing that people would recommend, or if there a thread about the subject (I am having a lot of problems using the search function, I get hundreds of irrelevant threads). I already have joy of HB, the HB companion, and how to brew and I'm also ordering Brew Ware (subject: equipment). Others? Thanks!

Homebrewers garden is OK but less than half is related to hops. There are a couple of other hop related book but I can't remember the exact titles. Also don't forget the free 26 page PDF available from freshops.com Near the top of this page

brew like a monk is a fun/good one if you're into belgians

Brewing Classic Styles is pretty informative if you want a lot of award winning recipes to peruse.

take your knowledge to the next level:

[ame=http://rapidshare.com/files/107178743/Brewing_Science_and_Practice__2004_.pdf]RapidShare: Easy Filehosting[/ame]
Brewing Science and Practice. Best of all, that pdf is free and you'll learn more about brewing than any homebrew book.

How to Brew - Palmer; This is, in my opinion, the best general book on homebrewing out there these days.

Beer Captured has a ton of great recipes. I like it because it offers an extract, mini-mash, and all-grain version for every recipe.

Although not by any means essential, I enjoyed reading Wildbrews (about sour beers & spontaneous fermentation,) and Farmhouse Ales. They each cover a small niche in brewing, but have some interesting history, if you're into that sort of thing, and lots of info about some beer styles that aren't covered much in most general brewing books.

I just bought Homebrewer's garden and was disappointed. It didn't really say anything I couldn't get from a brewing network podcast or on the hop board on here.

Otherwise, the best books IMO are 'How to Brew', 'Designing Great Beers', and 'Brewing Classic Styles'

I would not want to discourage your choice of book, but honestly, you can download a PDF that has everything you would need to know about hops growing, and just looking at sites online will help a lot. They are just not hard to grow with a few simple things to remember:

They need plenty of water, but not drowning.
They need LOTS of full sun.
Fertilize an average amount.
Watch for the common bug pests (aphids, etc.)
Trim the bottom leaves to help prevent mold around the base.
First year likely not produce much if at all.
Second year much better and trim all but a few bines. (This will help the remainders to produce more bigger flowers)

The details on this stuff is found online and in that PDF.

I have Charlies Complete Joy of Homebrewing and love it. How to brew is another awesome book I dont' know that one though.

This year for my birthday I asked for Radical Brewing. Looks to be a very well-written and informative book. I'm hoping to meet the author this weekend at a home brew day festival in GR too.

+1 to Designing Great Beers. Beyond that I have TNCJOHB but eh, I didn't use it after my first batch. For now my beer books will be about beer itself, not brewing: I have Fermenting Revolution at home and just preordered Hops and Glory: One Man's Search for the Beer That Built the British Empire (I have a degree in history that I don't use, so I like to nerd it up). I'll also be getting Ambitious Brew now that I know Maureen Ogle is pretty awesome.

Latest posts

Back