*Poll* What should I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do?

• Start over from the beginning, become a born again N00B?

• Calm the F*&k down and just jump right back in to brewing?

• Other? please explain.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cheeto

Born again N00b
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After reflecting on my infected batchs of brew, I am thinking that should just start over. Go back to the beginners stages, Read all the stickys again read how to brew.com again just start over. I know that I am kinda obsessed with beer, I tried to talk SWMBO through fermenting ,conditioning and bottling from 8000 miles away. I even have all of my kegging needs plotted out and waiting for me to pull the trigger on buying.

But this recent had me stop and think, I freaked out I posted questions I didn't even bother searching, I thought is was the end of the world, my beer was infected.

I went complete N00B for a bit

what should I do?

Using plastic equipment? Any plastic equipment that will be touching your beer post-boil that has ever touched an infected batch should be tossed.

This is just what I would do if I was in your boat, but personally, here would be my process.

1: Replace every piece of plastic, rubber, or vinyl piece of equipment. New racking cane, bottling bucket, fermenter, tubing, etc... A bleach holocaust on all your plastic gear might work too, but if you have the means to replace it comfortably, that's probably the way I would go.

2: Relax, and think about what you might be doing to cause these infections. Reevaluate your sanitation technique. Are you dunking in sanitizer, or just spraying? I'm a sprayer personally, but if that wasn't cutting it anymore I'd change it.

3: New sanitizer! Have you been using Star San, Iodophor, or bleach? Maybe whatever you're using just isn't cutting it. Maybe you're not using it in high enough concentrations, or with long enough contact time.

4: If possible, try brewing somewhere else. Maybe a friend would let you brew at his place. If that batch comes out fine, it's time to start looking for environmental factors. Try swapping out air filters and sanitizing your vents.

This is just what I would do if I was in your boat, but personally, here would be my process.

1: Replace every piece of plastic, rubber, or vinyl piece of equipment. New racking cane, bottling bucket, fermenter, tubing, etc... A bleach holocaust on all your plastic gear might work too, but if you have the means to replace it comfortably, that's probably the way I would go.

2: Relax, and think about what you might be doing to cause these infections. Reevaluate your sanitation technique. Are you dunking in sanitizer, or just spraying? I'm a sprayer personally, but if that wasn't cutting it anymore I'd change it.

3: New sanitizer! Have you been using Star San, Iodophor, or bleach? Maybe whatever you're using just isn't cutting it. Maybe you're not using it in high enough concentrations, or with long enough contact time.

4: If possible, try brewing somewhere else. Maybe a friend would let you brew at his place. If that batch comes out fine, it's time to start looking for environmental factors. Try swapping out air filters and sanitizing your vents.

#1 already done, all plastic, rubber, vinyl, polycarb and PET items replaced (about $80)

#2 I soak, dunk, and spray when I clean, and sanitize

#3 I have been a Star San user since my second batch brewed, along with using my dishwasher with a steam cycle and bleach to prep and clean the bottles ( soap first run, inspect, bleach & steam run, spray with star san before filling) bottle caps are soaked in star san.

#4 That I am going to have to try, I did brew this in the middle of winter with the house all closed up. ( that is my train of thought as to where this bug came from)

I voted number two cause if I had voted number 3 I might have said something like, Burn all of your brewing equipment and your house down. rebuild all from scratch with a HEPA filter air system like a level 4 lab.

But..uh.. I don't think insurance would cover that. ;)

I say relax, maybe step back for a minute then get back up on that horse.

It's all fixable. Replace everything that is plastic and bleach bomb everything else.

Make a list of every single step in your process and check for sanitation methods. Siphon with mouth? Touch cooled wort? Make sure you are extremely careful at every step.

I would sit back and re-evaluate my whole process. Decide what you are going to brew, how you are going to brew it, and set up a VERY detailed plan and mentally step through it. Then step through it with water and check all stages for sanitation. Then finally brew for real. Anything that you are uncomfortable with figure it out.

If it's truly an infection, you can beat it. You just have to find the problem and eliminate it.

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlLA/original/*****-slap_1130536521.jpg

You had an infection issue, something slipped in your sanitization regimen, or something of yours was a little dinged up...so what...It doesn't mean you don't know how to brew, or your process stinks...it means it's time to slash and burn your gear, replaces anything questionable, and more importantly Switch Sanitisers for a couple months to surprise any house bugs you may have.

I alternate sanitizers now, since my own infection issue last summer. I don't use the same sanitizer thorought the entire batch...if I use starsan on brewday I use iodophor at bottling, and vice versa...

Even Chris Colby as an aside in a BB podcast mentioned switching sanitizers, a "house" bug can mutate to become accustomed (like with pennicilin) to your sanitiziation regimen. So switching, at least temporarily will knock it for a loop.

Honestly, it ain't a big deal, it happens to us on occasion.....On Craftbrewer radio they said it usually happens around the 10th, the 30th and the 50th batch...even the pro's deal with it (the Brewer at New Glarus said in an interview on Basic Brewing once, that a commercial brewery operation gets a 3 year grace period before their first infection)

It's called a house germ...and it develops over time...
The hosts of the podcast in Australia have 60 years of brewing experience...This is a very good discussion on infection and infection control.

They talk about the "timeframe" of infections, and how it is less likely for a first batch to be infected...it tends to occur around the 10th batch and the 50th...When the equipment gets more used up, and "house germs" start to build up. They used the term "house mouth" in the discussion, how we may not even notice, because we're sort of used to the taste of our beers, it's usually NOT a regular drinker of our beers that notices it.

December#2,2006

“What is sour mashing?” I hear you ask. So said our brewmaster as he guides you thru this most interesting of ways of making a beer. In a nice compact show, we also cover feedback, Kit and Kilo infections, our beer superhero turns “gay”, and a faviourite beer song is requested yet again. Not enough, well also hear about WHO stuffed up his brew day.

http://radio.craftbrewer.org/shows/December2-06.mp3

It's a pretty good discussion.

Now quitcher whining and;

saddle.jpg

Back