American IPA Fresh Squeezed IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brewed this up yesterday. OG came out at 1.075, made some changes to the hop additions as well, had to sub Centennial for the Amarillo. Also, using 1272 instead of S-05 for the yeast.

Everything else is exact, looking forward to this one being done, it will be my first kegged beer. Don't think this keg is going to last long.

Oh man!!! I can't wait for this thing to be done... it has a crazy vigorous fermentation going right now and is smelling awesome.

Ah just brewed this and it came out incredible!
I scaled it down to a ~3 gallon brew and tweaked the grain bill just slightly:

7lbs - 2-Row
1lb - Crystal 40
1lb - Carapils
.5lbs Munich

I'm wondering... would you guys consider this an American IPA or an Imperial IPA (based on BJCP style guidelines that is)

Ah just brewed this and it came out incredible!

I scaled it down to a ~3 gallon brew and tweaked the grain bill just slightly:

7lbs - 2-Row

1lb - Crystal 40

1lb - Carapils

.5lbs Munich

I'm wondering... would you guys consider this an American IPA or an Imperial IPA (based on BJCP style guidelines that is)

Technically, I think it fits the latter. IBUs too high for regular IPA.

So.... I hope my beer is still good.

I went out to check on it last night, as I do everyday. My ferm chamber is in my shop out back, an old fridge with a temp controller attached. Anyways, I opened up the refrigerator door and was surprised by a lack of an airlock or bung in my BB. It was laying in the back of the fridge in a pile of gunk that at one time I can only assume was krausen.

I boiled this batch up on Saturday and pitched, attaching my blow off hose and let it ride. Checked it on monday and the krausen had fallen to what I was considering a safe level since the air lock vessel I was using for the blow-off was filthy from all the junk that got blown into it. So, since it appeared safe I changed out the blowoff for my airlock and bung.

Fast forward to yesterday, I went out to check it and found that at some point between Tuesday afternoon, I say that because I have a habit of making daily checks on the ferm chamber as I'm sure most of you do, and Wednesday afternoon the fermentation had taken off again and caused the krausen to rise back up and get into my airlock, stopping it up and causing the building pressure to blow it out of the BB. I had another bung and airlock in the cabinet so I did a quick wash, rinse and sanitize and put that one in place.

All that being said, I'm hoping that with the CO2 production and the krausen coming out of my BB that it kept out any bacteria.

I know, RDWHAHB, but I just hope that everything is ok with this one as I was really looking forward to this one being my first keg beer.

-Brewcephus

Brewed this up today with my brother. I made zero substitutions or alterations. Ended up with EXACTLY 6 gallons after a 90 min boil. Added oak chips to fermenter as perscribed. Gravity reading was 1.082. Hydro taste test was very rich, sweet then the hops kick in and hang out forever. I like it already! Looking forward to adding the 3 ounces of hops for dry hopping. Cheers!

Ahh! Can't wait! My new 8g boil kettle should be here the beginning of next week! This is Ganna be my first AG brew

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Airlock was (and still is) active within 24 hrs. Fermenting @ 62 F.

Wort has gone from smelling Piney and Skunky (when we pitched the yeast & oak) to BIG orange aromas, almost pure orange and citrus (airlock sniff test).

image_zpsbf762b94.jpg
[/IMG]
image_zps40a28afe.jpg
[/IMG]

Transferred into secondary with dry hops this morning (Amarillo whole hops, others are pellets). I did substitute 1/2 oz. (Used 1 1/2oz Amarillo) of the Amarillo with 1/2 oz Citra. Other than that, this recipe was dead on.

Gravity is 1.020 (8.1 ABV) as of now. The taste from my hydro was very, very smooth. There is no hint of Booze in flavor nor aroma. I would say from the cold fermentation and just a great recipe this beer is as smooth as a lager. Hops are there but not totally dominate, very well balanced.

I made a 2 gallon BIAB batch of this two months ago and fermented with Conan from East Coast Yeast. It was the inaugural brew in my new 2.5 gal kegging system and was delicious. Sadly the keg kicked last Thursday.

I had to leave the dry hops for nearly two weeks longer than expected while I sorted out the system and when I kegged it there has hardly any aroma. It was still delicious and was my best brew to date, so thank you for the recipe! It's an expensive brew but worth it, and my next batch will be 5 gallons.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Home Brew mobile app

Has anyone done this as a full batch biab? I'm looking at doing it that way but not sure if I gave a big enough kettle for 6 gal. I might have to scale down to 5 gal

Has anyone done this as a full batch biab? I'm looking at doing it that way but not sure if I gave a big enough kettle for 6 gal. I might have to scale down to 5 gal

I made it previously as 3-gal BIAB. At ~16.5 pounds of grain, I don't think I could fit that plus appropriate amount of water in my 10-gal kettle.
When I try it again, I'll make it as scheduled but will have to "dunk sparge" with remaining amount of water.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Have been looking for a decent sounding IPA to brew, and this seems to be a good one based on the feedback.

This will be my first all grain, and I am a little nervous about it I'll admit, but that is an aside.

This beer was fantastic. A few neighbors ended up at my place last Friday and we downed the first 3 gallons in a few hrs. Then this happened:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396482503.025898.jpg

I got home after a stressful day of work and went to pull a beer. Got nothing. Diagnosed a frozen block in the beer line an left it to melt. Apparently in the process I left the tap open. The ice plug melted and I'm left with the remaining 2 gallons all over the place. This is the closest I've ever come to literally crying over spilled beer. At least i had one last consolation beer out of the beer tray (which I luckily cleaned last night).

Guess I know what I'll be brewing this weekend...

Here's a dumb question: I'm not setup for an all grain brew but I am dying to try to make this beer based on the hop scheduled alone (not to mention the reviews), so how might I go about recreating this using malt extracts?

I appreciate Any help/suggestions. Also, if there is a site or program that might help me figure this out, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Here's a dumb question: I'm not setup for an all grain brew but I am dying to try to make this beer based on the hop scheduled alone (not to mention the reviews), so how might I go about recreating this using malt extracts?

I appreciate Any help/suggestions. Also, if there is a site or program that might help me figure this out, please let me know.

I just tapped this the other night and am completely astounded by how great this beer is!

You can use extract by multiplying the base grain by .75. So 14.5 lbs is equal to 10.9 lbs of malt extract. I used 10.5 and had an OG of 1.065. FG was 1.016.

This is a fantastic beer and I'm planning on brewing another batch this weekend because I know it won't last long.

The recipe's grain bill is:
14.5# American Two Row
1.3# Cara-Pils
1.3# Crystal 40
.50# Munich

I've made an extract version of this last year, and it was very yummy.
For the extract version replace the 2-row with Liquid or Dry Malt Extract. I put the recipe in BeerSmith and came out with this:
8.75# Pilsner Light LME OR
7# Pilsner Light DME

You could use the Golden Light extract variety, it will be a bit darker.​
The CaraPils and Crystal 40 can be steeped as usual but a small problem lies with the Munich malt.
Although some people do, Munich malt really should not be steeped, as it adds starches to your wort. 2 ways to tackle this:
  • Since it's a small quantity, you could simply omit it, but you'll miss a little color and flavor.
  • Do a mini mash of all the (three) specialty grains in a pot in the oven. Then strain it through a grain bag in a colander. Look up mini mash or partial mash. It's really easy and gives you a lot more flexibility in your brewing adventures.

Thank you both for the help! I can't wait to give this one a try.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I just tapped this the other night and am completely astounded by how great this beer is!

You can use extract by multiplying the base grain by .75. So 14.5 lbs is equal to 10.9 lbs of malt extract. I used 10.5 and had an OG of 1.065. FG was 1.016.

This is a fantastic beer and I'm planning on brewing another batch this weekend because I know it won't last long.

When I used the typical .75 LME conversion factor on the 14.5# of 2-row I ended up with an OG of 1.085 in BeerSmith, 15 points higher than the recipe. I reduced it to 8.75# which gives me an OG of 1.071 for a 5.5 gallon batch. In extract brews I always reckon .5 gallon will be lost to hops trub, so that's 5 gallon in the fermentor.
When doing these grain to extract conversions I think it's a good idea to keep an eye on the recipe's OG. You rarely know the All-Grain brewer's efficiency, or actual batch size.

It's pretty easy to make it an extract brew, as I still do. Just take the first base malt and sub in extract. There are conversion charts out there but usually just multiply the grains by .75 to get the extract amount. Keep all the other (specialty) grains the same and strep them first. Follow times and temps here. Then add the extract, bring to a boil and follow recipe from there on with hops, times and temps.

Marking to come back to this... Want to try and size this down to a 2 gallon extract recipe in the future!

Our bar just got pricing for this in Toledo, Oh, can't wait to get our first keg of it and compare it to my brewing of it 😊

Our bar just got pricing for this in Toledo, Oh, can't wait to get our first keg of it and compare it to my brewing of it 😊

I'm assuming you are referring to the Deschutes Fresh-Squeezed IPA. This thread isn't that. Although that beer is pretty solid. And this recipe is tremendous. But, two different beers.

Just brewed this. My first 5 gallon, and my first AG. So excited to taste this! My test sample definitely smells of oranges. Tastes pretty good too. My mash temp was a bit low, like 148° F. So I ended up with around 1.063 gravity after boil. Thanks for this awesome recipe!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397519687.284090.jpg

-James

This beer is amazing!!!!!! I brewed this beer March 22, I tapped the keg for my daughter's birthday party on April 19 and it was a hit. 5 gal were gone in a couple of hours. I will be brewing this again this weekend.
Like I said IT'S AMAZING!!!!!!!!:tank:

Would I be able to mash all the grain for a 10 gallon brew in a 60 quart cooler or would I need something bigger

Would I be able to mash all the grain for a 10 gallon brew in a 60 quart cooler or would I need something bigger

This is the resource I use to answer that question for me: http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Scroll down to the "can I mash it" section. If you plan to simply double the original recipe, it says you can do it as long a you mash at 1.33 qt/lb or thicker. Personally, I had to increase the 5gal recipe due to low efficiency and ended up replacing a couple pounds of 2-row with LME to make a little extra room in my (smaller) cooler..

Excellent. Didn't use the oak may try it next time. Definitely recommend this recipe!!

The name of this just got me thinking. I wonder how citrus juice would play in the secondary of a citrusy IPA like this. I might try this, thinking to squeeze one lemon, one lime, and one orange into the secondary for a second fermentation, and then add the dry hops when that was done. Maybe also zest some of the Peel from each in....

I have some cascade to get rid of. I wonder if upping the 10 min by an ounce would radically change things?

I also put some blood orange in this recipe. I used the juice and zest of 2 in secondary. It's nice but for some reason, mine is over-carbonated. Maybe just not long enough fermentation. But tasty!

Latest posts

Back