I vant to make a Transylvanian (Bohemian) pilsner ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finn

Reaction score
... and all the recipes I can find are for all-grain production. I'll get there soon but for now, this is my first beermaking enterprise since I was a freshman in college ... I'm wanting to keep it simple and use extract.

Anybody got a good Plzen-type recipe to share?

Thanks!

--Finn

First, can you lager properly? If you don't have the ability to keep your fermenter at temperatures of 50° F or less for extended periods of time, you should reconsider your recipe choice.

Transilvania is a region in Romania; they are not reknowned for their brewing skills. Bohemia is in the Czech Republic; they make great pilsners.
If you can't lager you could make a Kolsch, it’s a lager-like beer, very clean and smooth with a touch of fruitiness. Kolsch is as refreshing as a pilsner, without the cold temperatures required for a lager.

Yeah, but Bohemia doesn't come with a cool Dracula accent, so I kind of figured Eastern Europe was Eastern Europe ... OK, busted! Your point.

Anyway -- because of the time of year, I won't be seeing the happy side of 50 until March or so. My woodshop is a lean-to tacked onto a heated shed, which prevents things from freezing in there but keeps things averaging 35 degrees at all times. It's on the north side of the shed and sports a 5-in-12 roof pitch, so solar heat gain is practically zero. Short of having a refrigerated storage facility, root cellar or on-site cave, I can't think of a better place or time to try lager.

Cheers!

--Finn

Bohunk pilsener:

.25lb carahells
5.75lbs pilsen light dme
1.5oz saaz at 3.6% at 75 min
.5oz saaz 45min
.5oz saaz 30min
1oz saaz 10min
1oz saaz flameout, steep 30
1tsp irish moss at 15
wlp800
60˚ until ferm started, lowered to 50˚F

og 1.054
ferm started at about 48h
blowoff occurred at 72hr

Brewed on 9/23
Racked to secondary on 10/11. Bits of yeast cake saved to pitch @ bottling time.
warmed to 60˚F
72˚F for 1 day: 10/12-10/13
10/14 - Back to 45˚F fridge for 3 weeks, then lowered to 32˚F to clear.
12/17- bottled, 4gal total volume, added 3/4c dextrose and a little sprinkle of saflager

ok, boiling the wort right now. Had to make a couple substitutions because stuff was out of stock at my local brewshoppe. I'm running wlp830 instead of 800. Also accidentally added an extra half pound of extract ... and the Saaz were out so I bought domestic Tettnanger instead. Also a mathematical error left me half an ounce short. So, I eliminated the half-ounce pitch at :30. That bothers me more than anything else, but it's Sunday and the store's closed Mondays and Tuesday is New Year's Day ... so, I got what I got!

I'll keep you posted as the batch plows ahead.

--Finn

Back