SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowabrew

Reaction score
Just wanted to know how this looked. Hopping schedule, mostly is what i'm after, any input is always welcome. 2.5 gal batch

4.5 lbs MO
1/2 oz EKG @ FWH
1/2 oz EKG @ 15
1 oz EKG @ FO
Safale 04 ferment @ 66F

Will i get the full effects/flavor out of the EKG?

I really enjoy a nice bitter, so hope this turns out like i want.

With the FWH you will have a nice hoppy beer without a lot of harshness to the bittering. Looks just fine to me for a SMASH beer. Although I typically like to use a very clean fermenting yeast like US-05 when doing a smash but the S-04 will work fine, it just produces some more esters than US-05.

Beer Calculus on hopville.com puts that recipe midway between malty/sweet and hoppy/bitter.

Maybe you can add more at the start of the boil or move your 15 minute addition to 60 minutes. That still moves the pointer only to about 75% toward bitter.

Balance is key for a bitter, which usually aren't very "bitter" anyway.

I'm looking for the different profile from the 04. Safale 05 is usually my clean yeast of choice. So as balance is key, this look about dead on in my book.

Back