Grain Mill Motor Not Working

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mariojr

Reaction score
This is basically a cry for help. I have this motor in the picture.

DSCN3453.jpg

Recently it has stopped working properly. It hums when I turn it on and takes a manual spin of the pulley to get it to work. I have taken it apart and cleaned it out and couldn't see anything visibly wrong with it, but I'm pretty sure something is wrong with the starter windings. So to all you experts is this repairable (not necessarily by me) and is it going to cost me the price of a new motor to get it repaired?

Thanks.

I would agree with trying a new starter capacitor. If that doesn't do the trick, I would look for a short in the field windings, but if that is the case I would junk the motor. Unless you are using the motor at a homebrew store, any used but serviceable motor of at least 1/4 hp at 1725 RPMs or less should do the trick.

Maybe a split windings motor? If so the starter windings could be weak.

That motor is old bro. Might be time to buy a more modern motor. Maybe more power then 1/4 horse?

Maybe a split windings motor? If so the starter windings could be weak.

That motor is old bro. Might be time to buy a more modern motor. Maybe more power then 1/4 horse?

Type "SA" is a split phase brushed motor and has no capacitor. The main use for them was in washing machines. The problem is probably the brushes but good luck finding replacements. That sucker is old, probably the 40's or 50's. GreenMonti is right 1/4 HP is pretty small for a mill anyway. Yes I worked for an electric motor company for many years and am a bit of a "motor geek" :)

Back