Reuse trub from primary or secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OtherWhiteMeat

Reaction score
Ive read a lot about reusing trub. I really dont want to use the trub from the primary becuase I dont want to bring extra stuff like malt or hops. Does anyone know if the trub in the secondary is acceptable?

If it contains yeast, it can probably do the job.

There are several recent threads here about re-using yeast and/or trub. If you want to avoid the hops in the trub, you can do a simple 'yeast washing' with the primary's trub and avoid any hops in it.

Basically.....

add sterile water to the trub and swirl it around to get everything flowing.
pour into a clean container
stick it in the fridge for 1 or 2 days to let it separate
pour off and save the liquid on top of the trub (discard trub)

there should be plenty of yeast in the liquid to make a starter, and you can keep it in the fridge for a few months before making said starter.

I've now got irish ale yeast and american ale yeast in my fridge. This liquid is basically high-yeast-content beer, and I plan to use it to make starters the next time I need that yeast.

-walker

I'm glad someone asked that question. I'd seen mention of it in other threads, but still wasn't quite sure how to do it. It doesn't sound too difficult, especially if it saves $6-7 every time you brew (good for us cheap bastards).

Some additional questions:
1. How much sterile water should be added to the trub before "swirling"? A couple of cups, maybe? I wouldn't want to dilute it too much.
2. I was under the impression that when fermentation is mostly complete, the yeast fall to the bottom. How do you get the little buggers to stay up near the top? Add more DME so they start up again?
3. It's probably somewhere in one of the other threads, but could you run through the steps to turn the resulting yeast-liquid into a starter when it's needed? Particularly how much should be created to be the right amount pitched into the new batch of wort...

Thanks in advance.

cost is the only reason I tried it.

I always used dried yeast until recently. That cost me less than $1.50 per batch. When I started using smack-packs, the price for yeast went up to about $4.50 and my miser personality kicked in and demanded I re-use the stuff for at least 3 batches.

-walker

I use the liquid yeast my local brew shop carries (White Labs). I've gotten the impression that liquid yeast is the way to go, but... to each their own.

I pay around $6.50 per vial. I'm only brewing one batch at a time now (newbie and all), but the savings of harvesting yeast will start to be more attractive once I'm using two secondaries and doing 8-12 batches per year. :cross:

AndyLong said:
Brings me back to an earlier question: what is the right amount to pitch? How much is too much? :confused:

Well from what I understand 4-8 oz for a 5 galon batch is ideal,But I never pitch that much and get great fermention 1-2 oz and its bubbling in a few hours..Hey fellas thanks for the link too the yeast washing page great read!

The higher the cell count, the better. The idea is to get the fermentation going as fast as possible, so no nasties can get to your pride & joy! The more cells, generally, the quicker your start.

There is an interesting post in this thread by DeRoux's Broux about an experiment done by a micro brewery in Houston. It is in the middle of the page. Check it out.

Considering how much yeast I end up tossing from each batch, I'd have to agree that it's hard to make too much.

I too feel bad ever time I toss the yeast, but I don't feel comfortable storing the yeast. I have this fear of it getting contaminated and taken over by some nasties.

Homebrewers notoriously under-pitch their beer. Follow the advise given in this thread and put "over-pitching" out of your homebrewing vocabulary. Fermentation is EVERYTHING. It doesn't matter how careful you are up to that point, or how careful you are afterward. If the fermentation goes badly, all is lost.

About 1/2 a cup works well in my experience. You can also use a standard household strainer to separate the yeast & hops (unless you used pellets).

When I started my current batch, I did a starter yeast as recommended by my local brew shop:

The night before you brew, boil 1 1/4 cup DME in 1 quart water for 30 minutes. Cool to room temp and transfer to 1/2 gallon jug. Pitch vial of liquid yeast (White Labs Irish Ale yeast). Add stopper and ferm lock and store in a dark corner.

I did this at 6pm on a Friday and tossed it into the wort Saturday around 3pm. Seemed to work pretty well. By that evening, the lock in the fermenter was popping every three seconds and it was at around 75/minute 24 hours later. By the third day, the bubbles were only coming every minute or so. I racked into the secondary on the fourth day.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how much yeast was created by this starter. Should have done it another day or two in advance to let the yeast multiply or something?

making the starter one day in advance is the rule of thumb.*

-walker

* From my college chemistry professor: A 'rule of thumb' is a rule that is always true, except for the cases in which it isn't true.

So, if I had harvested from a previous batch of trub, would I then just take this from the fridge, let it warm up, then dump it in the new batch or wort?

Or would I attempt to build this up as a starter the day before? This is really my main question. If so, should I add some DME to give the yeast something to munch on? Inquiring minds want to know! :D

EDIT: Never mind... I just got around to the thread that Rhoobarb left a link to. All the details I need are there.

Back