How about a vote: force carb or natural carb in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which carb method TASTES better?

• Force carb

• Natural carb in keg

Results are only viewable after voting.

jaginger

Reaction score
OK i read a ton of old threads and there seems to be a split on the question. First threads I read suggested that natural carb in a keg turns out "yeasty" and therefore force carb is better. Others suggested force carb is "harsh" and natural is smoother and therefore better.

So, what's the real deal? Vote for force carb or natural carb in keg. Real-life experiences are much appreciated.

I'm still relatively new to kegging, but I've done both natural and forced carb and have not detected any differences at all. That being said, I generally now force carb just because it's easier.

99% of the time bottle carbed beers have a taste that I can discern and not like. I even get that from some micro beer. As to harshness, that is usually from drinking the beer too soon after force carbing.

Yeah, either work okay and both can be messed up. I generally force carb regular beers, but if something's going to secondary for a long time before going in the fridge I'll go ahead and let it carb naturally too.

Ive done both and will say that either is fine to me but I prefer to force carb cause I like a clearer beer to drink most of the time unless drinking a wheat beer.

How would anyone know which tasted better? Can any of you guys make a beer recipe that is so consistent that you can't tell the difference from one batch to the next?

I suppose a 10 gallon batch that fermented in a conical could be split between two cornys as a test, but I can't do that, has anyone?

How would anyone know which tasted better? Can any of you guys make a beer recipe that is so consistent that you can't tell the difference from one batch to the next?

I suppose a 10 gallon batch that fermented in a conical could be split between two cornys as a test, but I can't do that, has anyone?

I do 10 gal batches and ferment in Sanke kegs. I've not done that, but it would be an interesting experiment. Maybe I'll do that on my next batch.

Well, I just legged my first batch ever... A wit. Also bottled a gallon. I'll let you k ow in a month when I taste both side by side. Its not exactly keg conditioned but bottle conditioned shouldnt be any different.

I would say it really depends on the beer. My Avery Salvation clone takes on a different character when conditioned with priming sugar. I would day it sometimes adds more estery characteristics to Belgian styles.

Back