Question about building a Propane Manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harten74

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am interested in building a manifold to allow me to feed two Bayou Banjo Cookers with one propane tank. Being that it is propane, I want to make sure it is done properly, and most of all, completely safe.

Here is my plan:

• Build the manifold from black steel tubing and brass couplers/valves (both commonly found at Home Depot)
  • Use gas connection hoses (the yellow ones - if I can find them at Home Depot) to go between the valves and the burners
  • Use the regulator that came with one of the cookers to connect the tank to the manifold

Does this sound okay, or am I missing something critical? Any info from the folks on here who have already built something like this for themselves would be much appreciated. Thanks!

PS - I found a good amount of information in the DIY section related to various aspects of my question but I have yet to find a post that covers it exactly. I asked the folks at Home Depot and got a whole bunch of "I think..." responses. I called the local propane store and the woman I talked to said they would be happy to build it for me but don't do consultations.

I think you have just about everything you need. I used everything you plan to and my set up works great. The one thing I see missing is the pipe dope used for gas fittings. Have fun!

Sounds like you are on the right track. If you wanted to save a few bucks instead of getting the yellow flex hose you can also use soft copper and flare fittings to feed the burners from your black pipe. That's how I did mine. 1/2" MIP goes into black pipe and 3/8" flare to copper then to flare fitting on burner.

Back