Dark layer on top after racking to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After racking to a secondary the yeast will start falling out faster.

This will make the beer appear darker when in actuality it is getting more clear.

It will look darker because there is less yeast for the light to reflect off of.
(I know, no prepositions at the end of a sentence).

This should happen to your entire carboy eventually.

As time goes on I am starting to notice more dividing lines. There is one forming about an inch below the surface and another forming about 1/2 way down the carboy. I am guessing these are caused by the combination or oils from the hops and fruit n' spice pack, alcohol, water, and yeast.

Just everything heavier than water dropping out. ;)

You've made beer, man!!! :rockin:

Since you're in Indy and the weather is turning colder I would set it out the back door overnight. The cold will make the clearing go faster. It's called "cold crashing".

Just everything heavier than water dropping out. ;)

You've made beer, man!!! :rockin:

Since you're in Indy and the weather is turning colder I would set it out the back door overnight. The cold will make the clearing go faster. It's called "cold crashing".

Just cover it so the morning sun doesn't skunk it!

I had this same thread when I was beginning. Mine was an illusion from the light bending in the carboy. The beer level was right at the bend in the glass as yours is. You are fine.

Back