Head Retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbey

Reaction score
How do you ensure a good head on your beer?

I have two batches that I am drinking right now. They are similar.....moderate browns, both with 9 pounds of malt, fermented with 1056 American Ale yeast, and agressively hopped, but I used a higher lovibond crystal in one to see side by side how it would change the taste and complection. Both were kegged within a couple days of each other, and both were forced carbonated with 15 PSI for a week in my keg fridge. They both are good, but one holds a stiff, thick head halfway through drinking a pint. With the other, the head is gone in under a minute????? What's up with that?

I did use 1/2 pound of carapils in each batch as I read that carapils aides in head retention. What else works????

Thanks!

Gilbey

I did use 1/2 pound of carapils in each batch as I read that carapils aides in head retention. What else works????

I like to use a touch of wheat in my brown ale recipes. In addition, try racking your beers sooner in able to p/u some natural carbonation. ;)

Beertracker said:
I like to use a touch of wheat in my brown ale recipes. In addition, try racking your beers sooner in able to p/u some natural carbonation. ;)
If the kegs in question are cornies, then you won't pick up any natural carbonation in them - considering they are in the fridge and under CO2 pressure in the first place.

One of the reason to use cornies is to prevent the natural carb process and the sediment it generates.

Back