Bartender, there's a spider in my beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Blanco

Reaction score
Ok, let me start by saying i don't have a weak stomach by any means.

I just got home from work and I went to pour a nice nut brown from my keg and what comes out of the tap....a nice juicy spider still squiggling it's legs around as it slid down the inside of the glass. I almost puked. I'm soaking my tap right now.

I've been kegging for about 3 months now and bugs crawling in the tap hadn't ever occurred to me. Has this happened to anyone else?

I was thinking, How did you not notice a spider when cleaning and filling your keg, but I could see one climbing in the spout like you mentioned at the end. Has yet to happen to me that I noticed but I know they make like a rubber cap for them.

I'm still putting together my keezer, and I'm more worried about my buddy the golden retriever licking the faucets. But yeah, now I have bugs crawling in the taps on my mind too... :cross:

Maybe he'll take care of any spiders that may try to climb in there.

Well, there is no way he was in the keg, or in the lines. It's a closed system, and the co2 would kill him even if he managed to get in there.

That means he was either in your faucet, or in your glass before you poured. I guess you'll now keep a spray bottle of star-san on top of your kegerator (which I just happen to do) and give a quick squirt up the faucet before pouring!

I keep a spray bottle of cheap vodka on top of my kegerator. A quick squirt and ALL the bugs in the tap are dead and washed out.

Plus, you can give yourself a squirt in the mouth, as needed.

:rockin:

Peace of mind, for the bugs and the dogs, plus if you don't have FWD sealing faucets, these keep them form sticking, $.035 each
SP1000.jpg

Keg Beer Faucet Spout Plug

I found that the larger white cap from a carboy cap fits perfectly on a faucet. In case you don't want to spend the money on shipping for one of those little caps like the photo above. This will get you by for a while until you need to use it for the carboy cap :)

carboycapsmall-th.jpg

Spiders, fruit flies, chunks of mold from the tap (stuff grows fast in a Virginia garage), what's the problem? It all adds mouthfeel.

I was going to ask if perlicks solved this problem, but my problem is the cat licking. I don't think pericks would solve that.

I was going to ask if perlicks solved this problem, but my problem is the cat licking. I don't think pericks would solve that.

I hadn't thought of that. When I get my kegerator put together, if my dog figures out how to operate the tap then I'm doomed.

The dog thing is why I went with towers over collar. My dog is pretty smart and loves beer. I also fear the occasional curious raccoon as my taps are on a covered back porch. I think my dog would scare them off, though because he hates raccoons and squirrels.
If you get the micromatic tap plugs, they don't fit on perlicks or tout faucets, but they do fit standard faucets and the plastic creamers.
For my perlicks I put a black zip tie around the plug, which made it tight enough to fit.

Back