Books?? are they helpful, what do you recomend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eepa

Reaction score
There are sooooo many books out there on Home brewing, some say they are the best sell, others come from the 1970's.
Obviously practices and trial and error (Experience) is some of the great teachers, but books and pictures can also teach us a lot.
So i ask of you guys, What book do you recomend i buy? if any?

If possible this book should be one of those every home brewer owns, or should own, and that has got them through some tough times.
Curious to hear what you all have to say.

-Eepa

How to Brew - By John Palmer

John Palmer's book is free to read online for starters. The classic would
be "The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing" by Charlie Papazian. I have
both and they are very informative.

Jamil's "Brewing Classic Styles" is a pretty entertaining. Its more of a cook book than a how to brew book though. And you can't go wrong with Charlie Papazian's "Complete Joy of Homebrewing", thats a very interesting read.

scroll%20down.bmp

If creating your own recipes is something to which you aspire, "Designing Great Beers" is indispensible. It's very detailed and technical at times, but you will understand the role that various malts play in historical styles. Too often some may think that the BJCP guidelines are unduly restrictive, but the guidelines are actually an attempt to give definition to the various styles around the globe.

Scanning the shelves in my office, I have and would recommend:

-How to Brew
-Brewing Classic Styles
-New Brewing Lager Beer
-Wild Brews
-Brew Like A Monk
-The Homebrewer's Garden

If creating your own recipes is something to which you aspire, "Designing Great Beers" is indispensible. It's very detailed and technical at times, but you will understand the role that various malts play in historical styles. Too often some may think that the BJCP guidelines are unduly restrictive, but the guidelines are actually an attempt to give definition to the various styles around the globe.
Yeah. I need to pick this book up next.

"How to Brew" is a classic. I like the recipes in the Jamil book.

I highly recommend "Radical Brewing" by Randy Mosher. Great mix of beginner to expert subject matter, and I love that the presentation balances just enough of the science to explain what's going on, but without losing sight of the artistry, willingness to experiment, and sense of fun, that to me is what homebrewing is all about.

I highly recommend "Radical Brewing" by Randy Mosher. Great mix of beginner to expert subject matter, and I love that the presentation balances just enough of the science to explain what's going on, but without losing sight of the artistry, willingness to experiment, and sense of fun, that to me is what homebrewing is all about.

+1

That's the book that finally inspired me to stop buying LHBS kits and start building my own recipes.

+1 Palmer "How To Brew"

+1 Papazian "Complete Joy of Homebrewing"

Palmer for the textbook like process information.
Papazian for the passion and interesting recipes.

I have How to Brew, Radical Brewing, Designing great beers, and Brewing classic styles. With those books and this forum (search function) helped me a lot with this hobby

Borrow my Complete Joy of Homebrewing, haha. It's an easy and pretty interesting read. It also answers most common, basic questions.

I own old copies of Papazian (NCJOHB) and Miller's Complete Handbook of Home Brewing. Both are good, if somewhat dated.

I have read Palmer's book, and Designing Great Beers. Both are excellent references.

Mosher's Radical Brewing lives on my nightstand, and has provided lots of before-bed ruminations on beers I'd like to make.

I just finished reading Noonan's New Brewing Lager Beer, and I think it has the most thorough (yet understandable) sections on enzyme activity and water chemistry I've found.

So i got a lot of votes for "How to Brew", there were also a lot of other potentially awesome books that i'll probably end up getting later on, but for now im going to start of with "How to Brew" by John Palmer. I ordered it yesterday and will be getting it tomorrow....cant wait to read it.
Thanx guys.

-Eepa

I have read Palmer's book, and Designing Great Beers. Both are excellent references.

Mosher's Radical Brewing lives on my nightstand, and has provided lots of before-bed ruminations on beers I'd like to make.

Designing Great Beers or Radical Brewing. I mostly want a book on recipe creation and guidelines. The more technical the better.

So i got a lot of votes for "How to Brew", there were also a lot of other potentially awesome books that i'll probably end up getting later on, but for now im going to start of with "How to Brew" by John Palmer. I ordered it yesterday and will be getting it tomorrow....cant wait to read it.
Thanx guys.

-Eepa
Good choice. Great book and lots of information.

Designing Great Beers or Radical Brewing. I mostly want a book on recipe creation and guidelines. The more technical the better.

If you want deep and technical guidelines for recipe creation, especially focused on brewing to style, get Designing Great Beers.

If you want a more creative, inspirational approach, especially focused on stretching the boundaries and experimenting outside the standard styles, get Radical Brewing.

Ideally, get both!

Back