Batch Sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are two ways to go about it.

#1. Add just enough hot water at the end of the mash to raise the temp to about 165-170F and to make up for grain absorption. Vorlauf and drain that. Infuse one large batch sparge, vorlauf and drain. Done. If you're careful, both runnings volumes would have been close to the same amount and your efficiency is quite high because of it.

#2. At the end of mash, vorlauf and drain (1st runnings). Infuse half the sparge volume, vorlauf and drain (2nd runnings). Infuse last half, vorlauf and drain (3rd runnings). Depending on how much grain you're working with, this can be a very efficient method. I've seen it best the #1 method by 3-5%. In any case, you want the sparge temp to be about 185F so you inch the grain bed temp up.

Are you worried about getting the mash to 170 F before you drain the first time, ie, before you add any sparge water?

You'll have to work out the centigrade to fahrenheit adjustments as I'm UK here but I add the first batch-sparge volume to the mash at about 82c, stir and leave for 10 minutes before draining to the boiler. I aim for hitting 72c or above.

Once drained, I hit the MT with 82c water, stir and leave for 10 minutes again before draining off and boiling. As long as I hit 72c-80c I'm happy.

Apologies again for the metric versions here, it's just the numbers that I work with now.

Back