Are neoprene washers food-safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hercules Rockefeller

Reaction score
I've been assembling a cooler MLT recently, and when I showed it to a freind he advised that he's not sure if neoprene washers are food safe. ('m using an SS washer on top of a neoprene washer to seal the pipe nipple to the cooler wall)

I don't think it's a huge concern, but I just thought I'd throw the question out there to see if anyone has some insight.

they make special high temperature washers that are food safe, you can buy them from any online homebrew store. I have no idea about the washers you are using as it varies by manufacturer and type of washer. Best bet is to just order one of the ones from a site on the internet they only cost a couple bucks.

I bought around 25 in my last order from an online homebrew store, I always seem to loose them. I hope sure hope they are food safe.

Just to play Devil's advocate, are your SS washers rated food safe? I doubt it. Are the neoprene washers and SS washers safe for what you're going to be using them for? There's lots of folks out there using them with no ill effects, so go for it.

Kauai, from which online store did you buy those washers?

I use McMaster-Carr part number 94709A536.

Neoprene-Bonded 18-8 SS Sealing Washer 7/8" Screw Size
.910" ID, 1-1/2" OD

94708a111a.gif

Thanks for the info guys!
conpewter, why don't you recomend neoprene? I'm not married to the idea of using neopren washers, that's just what I found at home depot. I basically need any type of soft washer to fit behind my SS fender washer and seal up against the cooler wall. If there's a better material I'm all ears.

I'm kinda torn about worrying over the lead thing. I doubt there's a whole bunch of lead in there to begin with, and I suppose I could soak some hot water in there for a while then drain it to leech out whatever lead is on the surface as a precaution (perhaps even simulate wort by adding enough star san to get it to 5.2 ph). so I'm sure it's not a huge risk. But the idea working so hard to make my own beer just to have lead in it is nagging at me...

I stayed out of this because I'm not familiar with the properties of neoprene other than the fact that I use in my wet suits.

However there are a number of other products that would work well here McMasters and Carr has both Buna-N and silicone O-rings and they also have Nylon washers. I'd prefer any of these to neoprene.

I picked up a ten pack of 5/8" neoprene washers from McMaster-Carr. Their a bit snug on the nipple, but they're neoprene so they stretch, and I figure that'll just give them that much of a better seal. I only need two so if anyone needs a couple PM me and I'll mail 'em on over...

Back