Brewing since 1972

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBC

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am new to your board so let me say that first I am an older brewer and have been in 2 brewing clubs and have been retired for a couple of years and so now have the time to brew like I always wanted to. I only had a few items from a few years ago and needed to buy a lot of stuff to get back into brewing. After 1000 dollars I have a fairly nice setup with 1 upright freezer and 1 refrigerator, tapping equipment and 2 beer faucets, corny kegs, 6.5 gallon carboys for fermenting. I brew 10 gallon batches (14 gallon SS boiler with drain) that have been all grain amber ales so far. I use a 1/2 inch 50 foot copper coil to cool wort. I use Ranco controllers now which I really like to control fermentation temps. I used to make up my own controllers using old air conditioning controllers but the ranco controllers are much better and offer much closer control of freezer or refrigerator temperatures. I always dry hop in the primary after fermentation subsides for around 7 to 9 days which gives very good taste and aroma. I always use a starter yeast which I make before brew day or pitch from another previous brew. Using yeast starters makes fermentation start within hours. Sanitation is always first. I have been using Starsan. Warning: do not use Starsan on serving lines or tapping parts as it will attack some plastics and inpart chemical flavors. I learned this the hard way! You have to throw away all lines, washers, etc that become tainted as this can not be washed off. I wrote Starsan about this and they knew about it. Use beer line cleaner for serving lines only.

My next fermenters will be conical because that makes brewing much easier. I will build a small cold storage in my garage and cool it using used refrigerator parts. The inside will have melimine sheets. I do not have enough room in the refrigerators at this time.

Welcome to the forum.
I've been brewing since 1975, and I don't have anything like your equipment.
Things have changed quite a bit since then (for the better) haven't they.

-a.

Legal to drink? I wasn't even born! The coolest brewer I ever met had been doing it so long that his son was now juging homebrew comps, and his brewing setup was like an extra appendage. It's great to have more experienced people!

We can always use another refrigeration expert here.

You'll have to post some pictures while you build your cold storage unit.

McCall St. Brewer said:
Wow, 1972, eh? It wasn't even legal for me to drink yet that year. It sounds like you have quite a setup now, but how hard was it to get homebrewing gear/supplies back then?

It was always hard to get supplies. It still is now. I have no stores near me at this time. If I want supplies I have to go from Covina, ca to Riverside, Ca. I get good service from the internet but hate to pay shipping.

Short Drive said:
Great to have someone of you knowledge join up. There are a lot of good people here. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Where are you from?

Thanks, I am from Covina, Ca. USA

david_42 said:
We can always use another refrigeration expert here.

You'll have to post some pictures while you build your cold storage unit.

I would be glad to send any pictures and info. It says I may not post attachments at the bottom of this page?

WBC said:
Warning: do not use Starsan on serving lines or tapping parts as it will attack some plastics and inpart chemical flavors. I learned this the hard way! You have to throw away all lines, washers, etc that become tainted as this can not be washed off.

Wow, you've been brewing since I was 1. Kudos.

On the starsan thing, I keep starsan in my serving lines all the time unless i"m actively pouring and I've never had a chemical flavor or problem with it. Are you using distilled water to make starsan? I read that using tap water, because of dissolved minerals, can cause chemical reactions to take place that are bad for these things. Maybe that's what's happening?

mward said:
Wow, you've been brewing since I was 1. Kudos.

On the starsan thing, I keep starsan in my serving lines all the time unless i"m actively pouring and I've never had a chemical flavor or problem with it. Are you using distilled water to make starsan? I read that using tap water, because of dissolved minerals, can cause chemical reactions to take place that are bad for these things. Maybe that's what's happening?

You may have a good point there. I noticed it when I had Vinyl hoses in the Starsan for 2 days. I scrubbed it really good but could not get rid of the odor. It was really a bad odor from the black washer for the tail piece to shank too. I have been using tap water for Starsan. My water is fairly hard so how can I change the PH easily? The best way to describe the odor is Kiwi shoe polish. Definately not desireable! I replaced the line and washer and cleaned the tap and faucet and that did the trick.

WBC said:
You may have a good point there. I noticed it when I had Vinyl hoses in the Starsan for 2 days. I scrubbed it really good but could not get rid of the odor. It was really a bad odor from the black washer for the tail piece to shank too. I have been using tap water for Starsan. My water is fairly hard so how can I change the PH easily? The best way to describe the odor is Kiwi shoe polish. Definately not desireable! I replaced the line and washer and cleaned the tap and faucet and that did the trick.

I'm not sure if a pH change is going to work or not. I've been making starsan lately with reverse osmosis water - those 5 gallon carboys full of it you can buy everywhere. It lasts forever that way because there's no minerals in it, and it doesn't react with parts to cause the sort of thing you're describing. My water is really hard too, if I make starsan from tap water, it's no good in a few minutes so I don't even bother.

I've been alive since '72 and brewing since '07. Was lurking on this board before I bought my first fermenter.
Welcome.
Craig

In '72 I wasn't even a twinkle in my father's eye...but welcome just the same! Always good to have more experience to pull from.

Thanks to all of you who have replied and I hope that everyones Kegs is are full. :) I have a recently brewed ale to try today and I let this one condition for a month so it would be very clear and should be very good. I tasted it at 2.5 weeks and it was very good then without any carbonation. I based it on Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm Good.

WBC

McCall St. Brewer said:
Wow, 1972, eh? It wasn't even legal for me to drink yet that year. It sounds like you have quite a setup now, but how hard was it to get homebrewing gear/supplies back then?

Ha! My Dad wasn't even old enough to drink yet! :fro:

WBC said:
I have been using Starsan. Warning: do not use Starsan on serving lines or tapping parts as it will attack some plastics and inpart chemical flavors. I learned this the hard way! You have to throw away all lines, washers, etc that become tainted as this can not be washed off. I wrote Starsan about this and they knew about it. Use beer line cleaner for serving lines only.

Star san uses a soap for a carrier, this is why it foams. The soap attaches itself to the tiny cracks in vinyl hoses, this is why it turns cloudy. It will eat the plating off of metal also so do not keep Star San in contact with hoses or connectors for more then needed. You only need a 30 second contact time for it to be effective.

Look up the sanitation show on the Brewing Network for great info on PBW and Star San.

I called star san, explained that I am using RO water to make it, and told them I leave it in my lines and a keg to fill the lines when I'm done pouring, and they said no problem, you can leave it there indefinitely. I've never had off flavors or any sort of issues. All my stuff is stainless, not plated.

Depends, I think, on how you made the star san. I make mine with RO water, and have had star san in them far longer than a couple of weeks with no problems.

mine's made with filtered water (home depot whole house filter). My water
is middle of the road. Great for pale ales.
I did have one of the hoses cloud up on me. Haven't noticed any off flavors.

megavites said:
mine's made with filtered water (home depot whole house filter). My water
is middle of the road. Great for pale ales.
I did have one of the hoses cloud up on me. Haven't noticed any off flavors.

I was refering to serving lines which are vinyl and the washer that is used to seal between the shank and the tailpeice (neoprine) made most of the odor so maybe it was the cause of the hoses (beer line) that I was tasting and smelling. The point here is caution when just soaking things that come in contact with the beer after fermentation is over. Like I said I would stick to BLC beer line cleaner now that I have had a bad experience.

Ah! Another old fart on here! I too brewed my first beer in 1972. I started out with a can of Blue Ribbon Malt and bread yeast. Nasty tasting stuff, that first batch, but it was beer and I made it. Homebrewing beer wasn't even legal back then. I did have a license for home winemaking. Still have that one hanging on the wall of the brewery.

Welcome to the forum.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Yes! Welcome to the forum. I live up in Yucca valley and drive to morebeer in Riverside. nice place and good ppl.

Wow, brewing since '72! I was only 13 years old back then! I bet we could all learn a lot from someone with that many years of brewing. Welcome!

You're really making me look forward to retirement, but I've got quite a few more years to go.:D

I checked out the Monster Mash brewry pics and was impressed by the number of fermenters and equipment you have. What brand are those tanks? You must have a fortune in tanks and sheds.

Back