Spraymalt or sugar and what do people think of Coopers Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgo

Reaction score
Hi guys

just before I start my second brew I am wondering what I should use for making my next kit, maybe a Coopers stout this time. My local stockist suggested Spraymalt when I brewed the Nut Brown Ale and I have to admit the results were pretty good, however, is it better to use this than sugar and would I have noticed much of a difference had I just used plain old sugar. I did not take up home brewing necessarily to make cheap beer so a few extra quid or bucks does not really concern me.

Also, what are peoples experiences with Coopers Stout, is it recommended ?

Best Regards

Spraymalt is dry malt extract or dme for short (not to be confused with diastatic malt extract...). It is beer wort that has been concentrated into a syrup which is LME, liquid malt extract, and then through a spraying/drying process (sorry I don't know the how of it) all of the liquid is removed.

So, to answer your question, go with the spraymalt it will give you a nicer all malt beer as opposed to using sugar. There is a time and place for using sugar but stick with malt extract in the beginning for the best results. Later when you have learned more you can muck about with all sorts of things.

My experience with Coopers stout was all good. Use malt extract (spraymalt) in place of the sugar. I let the Coopers kits set on the primary for 3-4 weeks,Then the night before bottling I place the fermenter in the fridge. Next day transfer to bottling bucket then bottle.
AP

Another recommendation for Coopers Stout was a beer enhancer which was half dme and half dried dextrose. What does this do for me that the spraymalt doesn't and which is the best course of action.

I think that sometimes a little bit of information offers up more questions than answers, sorry.

I am learning a hell of a lot about home brewing tho :D

Someone with more experience than me can answer this for sure, but I believe that is an alcohol booster. It will give about 1% percent more alcohol content in your beer.

Dextrose is a form of sugar, it makes alcohol without adding much body or flavor.
DME is dried malt extract, it makes alcohol and adds body and flavor.
A stout is a heavier style so will benefit from more DME, a mix of both is also fine.

You could also decide to add a kilo of DME and a kilo of Dex. The brew will taste good and kick like a damn mule!
Expect about 8% ABV depending on volume of liquid etc....

Oh btw if it was a Coopers enhancer it will be DME/Dex and a little maltodextrin which is a sweetner which doesn't ferment much i think.

I have also done in the past what Burgo mentioned, a Cooper's stout with DME and dextrose. It turned out good. If I were to do it again, knowing what I know now, I would forego the dextrose entirely and make it all-malt.

I have also done in the past what Burgo mentioned, a Cooper's stout with DME and dextrose. It turned out good. If I were to do it again, knowing what I know now, I would forego the dextrose entirely and make it all-malt.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing (Cooper's Irish Stout kits were on sale last month, and I picked up 2).

(The kit is:
can of Cooper's Irish Stout liquid ME
Box of Light dried ME
1kg box of dex, of which you're supposed to add 300g)

I did this kit once, liked the basic recipie -- very much like Murphy's Irish Stout. I'm more of a Guiness fan, though. How do I get this closer to Guiness?

LHBS recommended replacing the light ME and Dex with dark ME, saying this will give it more body. Worth a shot? Would that make it more chocolatey-type malty (which is what I'm after), or more malty like a nut brown ale?

I'm also considering adding an ounce of hops, but I don't want to make it taste too green.

I was disappointed when I tried Coopers Stout pre-hopped extract. I think I tried it with a beer enhancer kit of 1lb DME + 1 lb dextrose + 4 oz of something else (malto dextrine maybe). It wasn't a bad brew, but it just wasn't nearly as good as any of the other Coopers pre-hopped kits I've tried. Sadly its been too long since I made that batch to remember what disappointed me in that brew. I think the Coopers Stout was like my 3rd brew. I suppose its possible I didn't let that one sit in the primary long enough (a nasty habit I have since gotten rid of).

I did this kit once, liked the basic recipie -- very much like Murphy's Irish Stout. I'm more of a Guiness fan, though. How do I get this closer to Guiness?

LHBS recommended replacing the light ME and Dex with dark ME, saying this will give it more body. Worth a shot? Would that make it more chocolatey-type malty (which is what I'm after), or more malty like a nut brown ale?

To get exactly what you are going for, you have to go all-grain. It allows you to have enough control over the character to make it similar to Guiness. Here is the thread where some members have tried it:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/guiness-draught-clone-100740/

Hi guys, amateur hour question here, but I just wanted to check that it’s ok I’ve not added any sugar to my coopers Irish stout and just put in the 500g pack of spray malt and yeast? I’ve never not put sugar in the barrel before!

Back