Control of the skunk!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdavisii

Reaction score
My last and only lager to date was a huge hit with all my friends. One of my friends suggested a Moosehead lager style or grolsh or one of the skunk beers per say. I love em. I under stand the skunk flavor and aroma is a byproduct of light and hops. How can i get a skunk flavor to imitate the charactaristics of these beers but not toooooo much????????

What kind of a question is that? Bottle in clear bottle and put in the sun.

Why would someone ask how to skunk their beer?(he asks to himself)

oh now come on. You have had a lot of skunk beer in your day. Heinies, grolch, moosehead come on now

oh now come on. You have had a lot of skunk beer in your day. Heinies, grolch, moosehead come on now
OK. But why brew it? Not really my right to judge but if you wan to skunk it just add light. Ill say take a six pack or maybe a 12 pack and expose them to sunlight. Remove them in regular intervals. You can make these up depending on the intensity of the the light. Higher intensity they will skunk faster. More overcast it will take longer. Untill you find the proper level of skunenness.
Yes grammer police I understand that gammer hurt a little.

St Paullis girl is one of my fav beers. The skuniness in the beer is balanced though, its not like a Heineken where thats all you can taste is the skunk flavor.

Bottle in green or clear bottles, leave in the sun for 1 hr. Repeat as neccasary

he could also leave the whole carboy in direct sunlight for a good hour.

OK. But why brew it? Not really my right to judge but if you wan to skunk it just add light. Ill say take a six pack or maybe a 12 pack and expose them to sunlight. Remove them in regular intervals. You can make these up depending on the intensity of the the light. Higher intensity they will skunk faster. More overcast it will take longer. Untill you find the proper level of skunenness.
Yes grammer police I understand that gammer hurt a little.

I was going for sitting in the yard and drinking as "scientific" and "experimental".:D

Aww c'mon now guys. Quit givin' him a hard time. I understand, you feel like you gotta throw in the requisite "Why the eff?" but let him be now. He's got the drift.

I wonder - and this is JUST a thought, not a recommendation - what if you added 1 oz or 2 oz of acid malt to the grain bill? Maybe? That could be completely off base, let someone else correct me before you go doing it.

Otherwise I think +1 to using clear bottles, and just intentionally skunking them.

Or... better yet. Don't do it. Just brew a clone, and don't let it skunk, and see what your friends say. After all, you're in the position to be the "beer expert"... maybe they'll trust your guidance.

Don't bottle in clear. All you need to do is let it spend several minutes (about 10 should do) in direct sunlight. Just pour it up and sit it out. It will skunk. That way you can have it 'skunk' or 'no skunk'.

I don't have the information in front of me, but when a beer is skunky, the molecules in the hops are broken down and changed into essentially the exact same chemical that is coming out of a skunks backside. If you are interested in drinking that, put your beer in the sun.

Definitely not for me.

The more hops you add the more skunk you will wind up with, so make sure it is lightly hopped, there is nothing like the skunk coming off of an imperial pilsner that has been sitting in the sun for 10 minutes. Literally for some very lightly colored beers 10 minutes in a glass in direct sunlight is all it takes.

So has anyone actually done this? I have read a lot about it but have never done it. Does anyone have experience or are they just going from what they read?

I have tried home brews that were skunked during transport. If you use clear plastic bottles and a "Carbonater" cap, certain beers can start to skunk in a matter of minutes.

Latest posts

Back