Belle Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stirlingtrent

Reaction score
So I brewed up a saison and decided to use the Belle Saison dry yeast. OG was 1.059, and pitched rehydrated yeast at around 70º. Ramped it up over about three days up to about 84º, which it's been at for the last 3 days. 6 days in primary total now, and it's dropped down to somewhere between 1.002-1.004. The problem is, it's got a VERY noticeable 'plastic' aroma and taste, also you could say 'solvent-like'.

Anyone used this yeast and had any issues like this? Could it be that it's just too early?

:mug:

I haven't used this yeast yet (though I've been meaning to, which is why I wandered in here), but my gut reaction is that 84F might be just too high for this strain. I hope the off flavors dissipate. Give it some time and let us know how things go.

It is a great yeast.

I have used it for 4 brews. it is crazy like 3711 and will finish low. It is similar to 3711 but has a little more spice and a little less ciitrus falvor.

I brew a lot of Saisons and I am liking this yeast more and more.

To the OP just give it some time and the brew will be good. To judge a beer at 6 days is not good. Let it sit for a couple of weeks and then make your decision.

This yeast can handle heat so 84 is fine. I start mine low. Mid 60's and then slowly get then up to almost 90 and they are great.

Thanks! I will relax and let it sit. Should I keep it at the current 84, or let it come down to ambient temp? That's around 65.

Drinking a young saison made with just 10lb 2-row, sorachi ace, and this yeast. I only gave it 2 weeks 2 days in the fermenter before bottling in 750mls. I think the warmest this got was 76 on the 3rd day (fermenter is somewhat close to dryer) and I'm getting good yeast flavors. 1st 2 days it was mid 60s and for the rest of the time. Next time I will wait longer to let the yeast drop a bit more but this one was already at 1.001. After twelve days in the bottle and only hours chilling I'm happy with this flavorful yet dry and crisp beer. I will definitely be using this yeast again. Maybe not sorachi ace but definitely the yeast again.

I just used this as well. Pilsner, wheat and some galaxy hops! Tastes great! Went from 1.056 to 1.005 in 3 days. I usually use 3711. But this one is very similar. At day 2 I brought it up to 75 degrees and left it there, plenty of yeast flavor.

To follow up from my last post:

Just drank one of the remaining bottles of this batch (biab sorachi ace SMaSH) last night. Its been in the fridge for 2 months and is crystal clear with gorgeous head retention and a more subtle hop character that balances the dryness and lack of specialty grains. Its dry, crisp, refreshing, but still full of flavor because of the yeast profile. I only have 2 more 750mls of this so I can't wait to repeat another Saison SMaSH.

ALSO, to comment on the posts that discuss pitching two packets...I only pitched one rehydrated packet. I probably would've pitched more if my grain bill was higher than 10lbs of base malt but the one packet didn't seem to be stressed out. I had a quick start to fermentation and a pretty quick FG. It also had no alcoholic sharpness whatsoever or any other off flavors that you would expect from underpitching.

I am considering this yeast for a pumpkin ale in the near future. Thoughts?

I am going to use this yeast tomorrow.
Mashing 10# 2 row and 2# rye. (EKG hops)
Anyone have suggestions for mash temp for this grain bill and yeast?
Thinking 150-152?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!
::mug::

I used Belle Saison this past June. Same complaint of Plastic/solvent odour but did not affect the final product. I will use it again for sure.

I am going to use this yeast tomorrow.
Mashing 10# 2 row and 2# rye. (EKG hops)
Anyone have suggestions for mash temp for this grain bill and yeast?
Thinking 150-152?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!
::mug::

Quoting a post thats over a year old, but figured I'd put this here if anyone finds this thread looking for advice with this strain.

For Mashing, i would never go above 150 for a saison. I like mine bone dry and that's generally the style. I mash at 148 usually and have about 5% cane sugar by weight (or syrup/honey) to really get a lean crisp body

For fermentation temps, this strain can do just about anything. High 60s it will still finish up quick and be more spicy. But I like to bump the temp up for slightly higher attenuation and get a nice fruity character. I've pushed this baby all the up past my body temperature with no off-flavors.

I've mashed at 152 and ended at 998 without simple sugar. That yeast is a beast.

has anyone used this yeast with a fermenter temp in the low 90's? i want to brew but can't control the temps and the ambient will be in the mid 80's.

ive used it in the 90s and its more fruity and less spicy at those temps. Just dont let the temp swing up and down with days/nights. This will cause off flavors especially early on in fermentation. I once had a saison that tasted like liquid plastic bandaids. Insulate the fermentor if you can

OP: So yeah, I've used belle saison twice now.

The first time I made a saison which was a bit strong. No noticeable off flavors, but it scored a 32. Not bad. In a split batch I threw some Brett L. in, and it got a 38, took 3rd in category after 3 months of bottle aging. That's more of a testament to brett than belle saison, I suppose. But it dried that beer way, way out. Still, taking a 32 for the first time, while being way too strong for style, not too bad.

Just now, I made a wookey jack-ish beer with belle saison yeast. It's still aging, but every single sample has been SO DAMN GOOD :tank:

In 3 belle saison entries in competition, I haven't got any complaints of chlorophenol, overly phenolic, or any other undesirable off flavor. I am also a trained beer judge, and I don't get that flavor. I'm not saying it ain't the yeast, but it might be something else.

In other news, this last beer, the wookey jack type thing? Fastest start to the visible portion of fermentation I have ever seen. Literally 15 minutes after pitching. I was a little scared. :eek:

Just used this for the first time in a Saison I made. Bottled it last night. Fermented from 1.056 to 1.002. Smells great. Tastes great. Might have over carbed it but not too bad.

Looking forward to two weeks going by.

All the Best,
D. White

In 3 belle saison entries in competition, I haven't got any complaints of chlorophenol, overly phenolic, or any other undesirable off flavor. I am also a trained beer judge, and I don't get that flavor. I'm not saying it ain't the yeast, but it might be something else.

at what temperatures did you ferment? I noticed a really high spicy phenolic if used at 22 Celsius (71 farenheit) or higher, so I guess I need to keep it lower for the first three days of strong fermentation

Just used this for the first time in a Saison I made. Bottled it last night. Fermented from 1.056 to 1.002. Smells great. Tastes great. Might have over carbed it but not too bad.

Looking forward to two weeks going by.

All the Best,
D. White

I liked mine better after 3 or 4 months. At two weeks I thought mine tasted nasty and though about dumping it then. Glad I waited.

Yeah, I know it's a necro but the yeast handles REALLY high temps just fine. Pitched one batch at 90 degrees because I was running late and had to go to work instead of waiting for the word to cool and no issues. Hit at least 95 degrees during fermentation a few times, again no issues.

Anyone use this yeast for a low ABV beer? I'm thinking of a SG about 1.035. If so, where did it finish up? Below 1.000?

Anyone use this yeast for a low ABV beer? I'm thinking of a SG about 1.035. If so, where did it finish up? Below 1.000?

It hits 1.00 from 1.075 like a rocket. It might go below, it might get hungry and ferment your fermenting vessel on the way.

I used it as a primary yeast in second runnings from a bigger beer. 1.03 OG. It took off quickly, temp in the mid 70's. After a week I added prickly pear fruit and JP/Destihl/Crooked Stave dregs. I did not take a reading at that time. 6 weeks in now and it's at .996.
I'm sure the dregs have a bit to do with that.

I used this recently in a saison, og of 1.050 fermented at about 85 degrees ended up at .997! And this was with a mash temp of 156! I had read this will eat anything at just about any mash temp and can definitely attest to personal experience now.

Okay, thanks for the input. I'm planning on doing a 1.030 starting gravity to see how the yeast performs and if the final product is drinkable as a session beer.

Life back into this thread!

I brew all grain but couldnt resist the 3 extract kits at $14.92 at NB for a chage up. I picked up the simcoe smash session ipas. I pitched the belle yeast 11 days ago and have high hopes. Looking forward to the 1.042 OG getting more attenuation than the kit intends.

For what it's worth, I've had nothing but crappy beers using this strain (though I am not saying there is necessarily anything wrong with the product). Brewing in the tropics, where fermentation temps seldom go below 85, this yeast gives off insane off-flavors and I've had a lot of what I perceive to be "fusels" - i.e., the burning, non-desirable alcoholic flavor and aroma. You know, the headache-inducing stuff. One guy I gave a beer to said that he had a hangover after just one bottle.

For those of you who have successfully fermented with this strain at higher temps, I don't know how you do it, but I am done with the stuff and have now switched to more "normal" yeasts with the help of a chest freezer :)

For what it's worth, I've had nothing but crappy beers using this strain (though I am not saying there is necessarily anything wrong with the product). Brewing in the tropics, where fermentation temps seldom go below 85, this yeast gives off insane off-flavors and I've had a lot of what I perceive to be "fusels" - i.e., the burning, non-desirable alcoholic flavor and aroma. You know, the headache-inducing stuff. One guy I gave a beer to said that he had a hangover after just one bottle.

For those of you who have successfully fermented with this strain at higher temps, I don't know how you do it, but I am done with the stuff and have now switched to more "normal" yeasts with the help of a chest freezer :)

Start it at lower temp in your chest freezer, then let it come to the higher temps when the activity slows down. My first one wouldn't finish until I raised the temp from 72 to 85, then it was done in a couple days.

Don't know either. Pitched one batch at 90 degrees because my brew day went long and I had to go to work and plenty of batches did a lot of their fermenting at around 95 degrees. No fusel hot flavor and no hangovers.

On the other hand the ester flavor I get from this one is really getting under my skin. Haven't had a bottle of my summer saisons in two weeks now despite having a closet full of them because I'm so damn sick of the esters. So very very happy the weather got cool enough for US-05. I'm getting a damn kimchi fridge before the weather gets hot again so I don't have to go back to saisons.

Back