New cascade crop at 9.2% AA??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I just bought a pound of cascade hops as the new crop was released. The person tells me they are 9.2% AA(came in food-saver bag) and I just want to double check to see if anyone else has gotten the same thing. This just seems unreasonably high for cascade to me and I want to properly account for them in beer smith. Any insight would be appreciated.

I heard similar numbers at my LHBS. cascade is higher than usual this year....and Centennial is a bit lower

I'll bet growers are trying to get as many alphas out of their hops as long as they can maintain the character of the hop- almost every hop I bought this year has been higher %AA than last year.

Got 2012 Cascade from Puterbaugh (Hops Direct) at 7.4% this year and 2012 Centennial at 8.7% (HopUnion).

exactly!

My recipe defaults show Cascade at 5.8 and Centennial at 10

this years crop seems to have Cascade a bit higher than normal...and Centennial a bit lower

Latest posts

Back