Stainless Triple Sink Polish Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBrewBob

Reaction score
So I lucked up and traded a guy some random garage stuff for this Stainless Triple Sink...It had a fair amount of corrosion and gunk layered on it from a couple of years without care...

I've decided to keep it and match it to my polished keggle setup. I've started on removing the corrosion and now working on polishing out the front.. This is more than I bargained for but it's too late to turn back now.

After a few failed attempts at Naval Jelly and a paint scraper, I whipped out the ole angle grinder.. Took some advice from these forums and used the gator grit pads. It peels the corrosion off like butter.

I'll be coming back over the swirls with a #2 cleaner compound and then finalizing with a Green Rouge polish stick.

k31535.jpg
[/IMG]

Underneath, it was a mess. The grinder is working wonders.
2jf14pl.jpg

Here is just one very quick pass with gator grit and then #2 polish..It needs a little more attention but not too bad for a quick pass over.

332nzpi.jpg

LEGS BEFORE
wl8vb.jpg

AFTER
2hdz2hz.jpg

I am hoping once it is finished, it will match well with the little setup I've got going.

fcr1jt.jpg

More pics coming..I will be working on this tomorrow morning before the SEC Championship game.

Cheers!

Niiiiicccceeee....

1. What's yer mashtun wrapped in?
2. Evaporust does wonders. Also, consider LPS3 or Boeshield T-9. If it's rusted like that, it may rust again quickly....especially around water.

Niiiiicccceeee....

1. What's yer mashtun wrapped in?
2. Evaporust does wonders. Also, consider LPS3 or Boeshield T-9. If it's rusted like that, it may rust again quickly....especially around water.

The MT is actually Rhino Liner! I decided to give it a go a few months back. Unfortunately, I have been very busy and haven't organized a test to see what kind of insulation it actually holds for mashing. Pressing time forced me to brew a a couple of extract batches to fill the kegs(which was priority). I will try to organize a side by side test and post results one day soon.

Thanks for the additional info...I've managed to get the rust off but now looking for a way to prevent it again.. Does evaporust or the LPS3, etc.. prevent rust?

Evaporust converts rust amazingly well on stuff like old tools but only has a mild preventive effect. LPS3 and Boeshield are what you want for prevention.....they form a thin film that displaces water. Normally you wouldn't have to do this with stainless steel, but since it already has a history of corrosion, you will likely see it rust again.

For brewing, Barkeepers Friend is another cleaner that works pretty well for general cleaning....it uses oxalic acid to repassivate and clean the steel....cheap and effective. It's probably what you want to use for cleanup.

ScubaSteve said:
Evaporust converts rust amazingly well on stuff like old tools but only has a mild preventive effect. LPS3 and Boeshield are what you want for prevention.....they form a thin film that displaces water. Normally you wouldn't have to do this with stainless steel, but since it already has a history of corrosion, you will likely see it rust again.

For brewing, Barkeepers Friend is another cleaner that works pretty well for general cleaning....it uses oxalic acid to repassivate and clean the steel....cheap and effective. It's probably what you want to use for cleanup.

Thanks Scuba! I will be applying some Boeshield without a doubt.

Looks good. I've actually been thinking about using a stainless triple sink as a mash tun.

Check out this Aussie brewery. He uses stainless sinks for brewing:

Last edited by a moderator:
Subscribed. Looks awesome so far! I just acquired a 10 foot stainless buffet table that I will be doing this too after I cut it down and weld it up for my brewstand.

Sent from my Android using the HomebrewTalk mobile app.

Just wondering if you ever finished this up? I just picked up a sink from a place that went out of business, and I've soured it down, but now I'm curious to know if it would be worth my time to buff it up? Any problems with it staying clean being that shiny?

Thanks@

Back