Anybody tried this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren231

Reaction score
I wanted to reuse my yeast from a previous batch which had been dry hopped. I finished batch sparging, boiled and cooled to 60 in 25 minutes. In an effort to clean up the yeast I pumped the cooled wort into the now cooled spent grain, added the slop from the bottom of the previous fermenting buckets and recirculated all for about 20 minutes using the grain bed as a filter to remove the old hops and drub. It's now fermenting quite nicely. I ended up priming and kegging the first batch with the new unfermented beer. Did I have too many while brewing late night?

i dont see the point in running it back thru your MT.
just boil some water, cool and pitch into your old yeast cake. swirl. pour into a jar and wait 10 min for hop and trub to drop pour off yeasty solution into another jar and cold crash that, decant liquid and use for starter or if harvested enough slurry pitch directly into you FV.

also IIRC malted barley contains trace amounts of lacto on its shells. Hope you didnt just sour your batch....

You pitched the yeast, and then ran the wort through the grain bed into the fermenter?
That can't be good.
If this beer doesn't turn out sour, I'll be amazed.

I guess I'm confused as to what would sour the batch. The grain was in effect pasteurized. I'm pretty sure from what I see the yeast is way out in front of any lacto. I guess my hazy logic drew me to this course with #1 getting a bit more sugar off those grains and #2 trying to use the grain bed as a filter by recirculating. I'll let you guys know what happens.

in what way did you pasteurize the grains after mashing?
look up "sour mash" essentially its leaving a hot sticky thick environment letting lacto reproduce like in a berliner weiss let the lacto get to souring first without the ale yeast eating all sugars.

your prob gonna be fine in the long run if ferm took off so vigorous. watch for a pellicle during the end of primary.

Yeah, don't recirculate fresh cool wort in spent grains as was said. I hope you like sour beers.

The grains had been at 154F for 90 min with a 170F Batch sparge. They dropped to about 110F in the time it took to boil and chill. I added the wort and continued counterflow chilling while recirculating to get it down to 70. Cooling took less then 5 minutes. I then pitched yeast. I would refer to the mash and sparge as the pasteurization.

The grains had been at 154F for 90 min with a 170F Batch sparge. They dropped to about 110F in the time it took to boil and chill. I added the wort and continued counterflow chilling while recirculating to get it down to 70. Cooling took less then 5 minutes. I then pitched yeast. I would refer to the mash and sparge as the pasteurization.

A sour mash, where a mash is left to stand for a day or more to sour, usually uses a mash out step in order to lock in the fermentability of the wort: lacto is still very much present after a mash out step.

I started looking at some other threads and they stated that 99% of lactobacillus is killed after 5 minutes at 150F. I obviously far exceeded that during mash and sparge. I also had a pretty healthy collection of viable yeast I added. The ferment is boiling. Not trying to be defensive...just attempting to figure out where all these bacteria would theoretically come from.

Props for creativity, but I think there are better/safer ways to wash yeast. I'm not saying it will be sour, but it could be. Only time will tell, so please post a follow up after you've sampled a few.

Latest posts

Back