Visible Flocculation in Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayof2day

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my third batch and first using a secondary. I am brewing with my starter kit and a newly accquired secondary, thus my primary has been the good old plastic bucket and I haven't really been able to see a lot of the fermentation processes. I racked to my secondary after five days in the primary (no visible airlock activity and gravity close to final, still expecting small drop) I know as sugars are converted to CO2 and alcohol, the yeast will flocculate at the surface and settle out. My question is, is this flocculation visible at the surface? I have something at the surface that I'm worried is bacteria (I had a lot of trouble getting the siphoning going and ended up using the mouth technique). So my question is, is there a chance that this is flocculating yeast, or is it more likely that this batch is contaminated?

Matt

When I first used a secondary, I thought I had an infection as well. Is the visible 'stuff' in the form of little clumps of white material. If so, it could just be bubbles!! Give the fermenter a gentle swirl, and see if they disperse like bubbles.

It's amazing how much innocent bubbles can look like mould or some-such.

clayof2day said:
Hi All,

This is my third batch and first using a secondary. I am brewing with my starter kit and a newly accquired secondary, thus my primary has been the good old plastic bucket and I haven't really been able to see a lot of the fermentation processes. I racked to my secondary after five days in the primary (no visible airlock activity and gravity close to final, still expecting small drop) I know as sugars are converted to CO2 and alcohol, the yeast will flocculate at the surface and settle out. My question is, is this flocculation visible at the surface? I have something at the surface that I'm worried is bacteria (I had a lot of trouble getting the siphoning going and ended up using the mouth technique). So my question is, is there a chance that this is flocculating yeast, or is it more likely that this batch is contaminated?

Matt

I have the same thing happen to me when i use the safbrew s-33 yeast. Flocculation is seen on the surface of the beer as little white pactches, kinda like a lily pond. This is perfectly normal with some yeasts. If you sanitize everything like you were supposed to, and it taste like beer and not vinegar or anything funky then its the yeast flocculating.

I've had the same thing happen in the secondary with different white labs strains, all with fine results. If it's not green and fuzzy, and tastes fine, you're ok.

Back