ge mini fridge fermentaion chamber question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
just bought the GE GMR04AAMBB from a craigslist post. i have seen this version converted successfully into a keg fridge but can i use this to beat the summer heat and ferment in it? anyone have any advice on what i will need to achieve this dream of mine?

fridge.jpg

I have a very similar fridge. Hooked up my Johnson A419 and set it to 62°. Pulled down the freezer portion and pushed it to the back (coolant lines run through it) and set the carboy inside. I do have a fan on order to help move the air around but so far I am able to maintain a nice 66° in the fermenting IPA.

IMG_1540.jpg

You can take the door off and make a box insulated with the pink foam insulation. Make it so that the fridge fits in one end, and with the Johnson controller you have a fermentation chamber. You can make it large enough to hold a couple of fermenters.

Does your carboy fit in there?

If so, all you need is a temperature controller like the Johnson A419.

yes, just bent the freezer and removed the molding on the door. its all set now. all i need now is a temp control system. also what did you do about putting the rubber that keeps the door shut back on? did you have to add anther piece to the door to keep it insulated and hold the magnetic rubber?

yes, just bent the freezer and removed the molding on the door. its all set now. all i need now is a temp control system. also what did you do about putting the rubber that keeps the door shut back on? did you have to add anther piece to the door to keep it insulated and hold the magnetic rubber?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I don't have this fridge. You definitely need to have the rubber door guard between the door and the frame in place. Without seeing it, I'm not sure what the best approach would be.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I don't have this fridge. You definitely need to have the rubber door guard between the door and the frame in place. Without seeing it, I'm not sure what the best approach would be.

thanks a bunch. ive got it figured out now. amazing what spending hours searching the internet for answers will do.

now i need to add a temperature control mechanism to my mini fridge. anyone have any success with this brand of mini fridge? how did you do it? what kind of thermostat did you use? any help or pics would be great. thanks again.

now i need to add a temperature control mechanism to my mini fridge. anyone have any success with this brand of mini fridge? how did you do it? what kind of thermostat did you use? any help or pics would be great. thanks again.

The Johnson A419 has been recommended twice so far. Is there any reason that isn't what you're looking for? For temp controllers like this, a fridge is a fridge. Brand, etc., don't really matter.

The Johnson A419 has been recommended twice so far. Is there any reason that isn't what you're looking for? For temp controllers like this, a fridge is a fridge. Brand, etc., don't really matter.

Stick to the Johnson controller unless you just want to get fancy with it. Mount the controller on the side of the fridge and route the copper wire into a cup of water inside. You don't have to drill or anything, the rubber door seal should be sufficient. Just make sure the door doesn't pinch it.

If you need a controller, someone has one in Classifieds for $45 shipped.

was hoping for a cheaper alternative thats all. thought maybe there was more then just one. but if you insist its the one thats best maybe ill stop being cheap and buy it. thanks malfet.

Stick to the Johnson controller unless you just want to get fancy with it. Mount the controller on the side of the fridge and route the copper wire into a cup of water inside. You don't have to drill or anything, the rubber door seal should be sufficient. Just make sure the door doesn't pinch it.

If you need a controller, someone has one in Classifieds for $45 shipped.

right on! great reply. thanks for your time.

was hoping for a cheaper alternative thats all. thought maybe there was more then just one. but if you insist its the one thats best maybe ill stop being cheap and buy it. thanks malfet.

Rancos are a bit cheaper. If you are handy with electronics, you can build something for ~$20 in components.

just bought the GE GMR04AAMBB from a craigslist post. i have seen this version converted successfully into a keg fridge but can i use this to beat the summer heat and ferment in it? anyone have any advice on what i will need to achieve this dream of mine?

I just bought that EXACT fridge and turned it into a fermenatation chamber. If you remove the plastic on the door (leave the rubber seal) a six gallon ale pale or a 5 gallon carboy will fit.

There is a wiring diagram on the back. The original thermostat controls temperature by connecting the gray and sky blue wires (going by memory there). All of those wires terminate in the back so I removed the existing thermostat and clipped the wires flush with the inside of the fridge.

I was able to source a Partlow 1160 controller (way overkill) from the junk bin at work. I ran all the wires down the back of the fridge and only have the thermocouple going in the front.

I would be happy to take some pictures for you.

I just bought that EXACT fridge and turned it into a fermenatation chamber. If you remove the plastic on the door (leave the rubber seal) a six gallon ale pale or a 5 gallon carboy will fit.

There is a wiring diagram on the back. The original thermostat controls temperature by connecting the gray and sky blue wires (going by memory there). All of those wires terminate in the back so I removed the existing thermostat and clipped the wires flush with the inside of the fridge.

I was able to source a Partlow 1160 controller (way overkill) from the junk bin at work. I ran all the wires down the back of the fridge and only have the thermocouple going in the front.

I would be happy to take some pictures for you.

please do. its nice to see someone on the same page as me. is it that complicated? i was hoping i could buy a temp control and plug it in and maybe couple a few wires. maybe im just reading this wrong and it is that simple. but please please please send pics. its killing me to have a fridge and no way to use it yet. thanks so much

Here's the pictures as promised. I included a wiring diagram too. It is really easy to wire up a controller. Basically, you have to run power to the controller (black and white wires) and then two wires (red) that will switch the compressor on and off when the controller directs it.

In the pictures you can see a 5 gal carboy sitting quite comfortably with the inside of the door removed. You can also see the controller doing its thing.

View attachment Fridge Wiring.pdf

IMAG0503.jpg

IMAG0505.jpg

IMAG0507.jpg

Here's the pictures as promised. I included a wiring diagram too. It is really easy to wire up a controller. Basically, you have to run power to the controller (black and white wires) and then two wires (red) that will switch the compressor on and off when the controller directs it.

In the pictures you can see a 5 gal carboy sitting quite comfortably with the inside of the door removed. You can also see the controller doing its thing.

so sweet! thanks a bunch for your help. just got a ranco. you tube took care of the rest. lol now that i have a fully functional fermentation chamber, any advise on a great lager or cold fermenting recipe? and also did you add a fan to the inside of the fridge?

No fan, I don't see the need. The volume inside is relatively small, I imagine the temperature will stabilize rather quickly once the initial cooling is complete. I probably will add a lightbulb before winter (my controller has a heating circuit too) to bring the temperature up if needed.

Hey Chap- What model is your mini fridge? Was there a "hump" in the fridge that had to be removed? I'm needing to get some fermentation temp control but space is limited. No room for a large fridge, so am thinking about the mini-fridge route w/ temp control.

Thanks in advance

evanlee19 said:
Hey Chap- What model is your mini fridge? Was there a "hump" in the fridge that had to be removed? I'm needing to get some fermentation temp control but space is limited. No room for a large fridge, so am thinking about the mini-fridge route w/ temp control.

Thanks in advance

The model number is written in the first post. I didnt need to remove the hump a carboy fits fine when the molding is taken out. Dont forget to bend your freezer plate.

Thanks in advance

Mine is an old ABSOCOLD mini fridge, can't read the model number anymore. It does have a compressor hump in the back but it is far enough back that a 6 gallon carboy fits no problem. Hope that helps.

Back