Buying Kegerator - DIY or New?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeiggiM

Reaction score
Did a quick search, came up with nothing. I'd like to know if it is worth shelling out $500+ on a new kegerator from bestbuy/costco/etc. or should i get the needed materials to make a kegerator myself?

If this has already been covered here on the forums, please (kindly) et me know.

Thanks! Oh btw - I'm new here to the HBT forums!

In those two formfactors, it's really about capacity.

Sanyo DIY= 2. Cheaper upfront cost, but you can spend as much upgrading it.
Danby, et al = 4. (Usually get a 5# tank/reg included. Need to upgrade tower. May have better duty cycle.

If a bigger footprint is OK.
Full size household fridge ~ 5
Chest Freezer ~ 4-6+ (varies by model/size)

If you go the Sanyo DIY route , you'll need to get a fridge w/o a freezer section.

olllllo said:
In those two formfactors, it's really about capacity.

Sanyo DIY= 2. Cheaper upfront cost, but you can spend as much upgrading it.
Danby, et al = 4. (Usually get a 5# tank/reg included. Need to upgrade tower. May have better duty cycle.

If a bigger footprint is OK.
Full size household fridge ~ 5
Chest Freezer ~ 4-6+ (varies by model/size)

Well i guess i should have said the capacity i am wanting: I'd like a 1/2 barrel - nothing bigger than a mini fridge or there abouts.

That's no DIY mini.

I'm saying that you probably wont find a mini fridge that can be converted to support a commercial half barrel.

The Sanyo kegger looks like a purpose-built unit, not something available on the street. Note the casters and the lack of a compressor hump in the floor. It's about a 6 cu ft and weights twice as much as the 5 cu ft Sanyos commonly used for cornie keggers. The few 6 cu ft units available are not cheap and they tend to have floor mounted compressors anyway. Even my 14 cuft uses a floor compressor.

You are probably better off buying the pre-built unit.

Also keep in mind buying one used off auction. I purchased my first kegerator (a Perlick 3 sanke keg capacity) for $200 off ebay. My second kegerator I got off ebay for $97 and its brand spanking new (the owner listed it as a SODA DISPENSOR for some reason).

So what Im saying is keep an eye out, there's no reason you should have to shell out $500 just to drink your own draft beer.

Go the chest freezer route. Commercial "mini" models are a rip off...and you'll want to upgrade. If you get a smaller chest freezer, you'll still save space, but you could fit much more in there, and have more serving options for parties. It's a pretty easy DIY, too.

ZeiggiM said:
Did a quick search, came up with nothing. I'd like to know if it is worth shelling out $500+ on a new kegerator from bestbuy/costco/etc. or should i get the needed materials to make a kegerator myself?

If this has already been covered here on the forums, please (kindly) et me know.

Thanks! Oh btw - I'm new here to the HBT forums!
Welcome to the forum.

Go the DIY route if you're at all handy. Much more rewarding and you can customize your rigs the way you want.

I recon I have less than $800 wrapped up in two kegerators (not including CO2 tanks, kegs and ball locks).

It's easier than you think, and you'll have a lot more knowledge about the system if you build it yourself.

Freezer_WTaps_1.JPG

Freezer_WTaps_3.JPG

Kegger5.JPG

Inventory1.JPG

For all the DIY I did on my kegerator, I wish I'd just done a complete DIY deal from the start. My Haier kegger has been nothing but trouble, and I'm considering getting rid of it (defrosting it WAY too often, despite my best efforts to seal it and minimize the condensation). SWMBO has already mentioned getting a chest freezer to play with...

Back