What causes haze on sides of bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
The more I look. the more I see it. I started brewing (again) about 18 months ago, and for the first year didn't notice it. Then I started noticing that some bottles had a haze on them after pouring out the beer that doesn't clear with rinsing. The beer is crystal clear. Now it seems that almost every bottle has it.

The haze forms on vertical surfaces, if the surface is inclined down (such as the neck) it doesn't have the haze.

I ignore it on some bottles, but mostly I soak them in a dilute solution of bleach which I keep my hoses in. Not too much of an issue, but just an extra step.

Would like to understand what it is, would be nice to see if I could eliminate/minimize it.

Is it due to hard water, or something to do with yeast? I get it in ciders too which don't have much added water.

Since finding it in my beer, I've started finding it in commercial beers. I found it in a couple of bottles of Sam Adams (had to look hard), and a few weeks ago, I had 5 bombers of Rouge 'Yellow Snow' in which it was obvious, and really made the bottles opaque.

It can be multiple things including water deposits, beer stone or yeast / protein deposits.

If you use PBW and rinse with an acidic sanitizer, that should remove most of the haze causing deposits

Not sure if this is related or not, but the same thing happens after some oxyclean soaks! A diluted solution of vinegar and water takes care of it for me.

Like I said not sure if it is related, but it could have something to do with oxygen? Just tossin out an idea!

I think I get the same thing. Little specks on the side of the bottle? I just use the bottle brush on them and rinse. Crystal clear. Could be yeast that want to stick to the side? I don't know but it has never caused a problem aside from a little bit more time when cleaning bottles.

Back