Can someone explain this please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonToews

Reaction score
Heres the recipe

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/lambic-style-kriek-102829/

This is my understanding of it. I was wondering though, your really supposed to keep all that water in the mash tun at a time? doesn't it water down the wort? My wife would really like to make a lambic, so I thought we would give this a try. I got all the actuall temperatures by punching it into beersmith.

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.50 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 56.5 %
4.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 34.8 %
1.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.7 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 16.7 IBU
10.00 lb Rasberry (Secondary 5.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Color: 4.0 SRM
Bitterness: 16.7 IBU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.9 %
Actual Calories: 43 cal/pint

Mash in 3.03 Gallons (11.50 Liters) 92F - Mash to hit 86F
Pull 1.5 Gallons (5.6 Liters) Heat to 149F
Add 1.5 Gallons 131F - Mash to hit 122f (25 Min)
Add 1 Gallon (4 Liters) 142.9F - Mash to hit 132F (15 Min)
Add 1.5 Gallons (5.6 Liters) of turbid wort 149F
Pull 1 Gallon (4 Liters) 164.2F - Mash to hit 150F
Add 1 Gallon (4 Liters) at 155F
Pull 1 Gallon (4 Liters) 176F - Mash to hit 160
Add to Mash tun
Pull 3 Gallons (11.3 Liters) 187.8F - Mash to hit 170F
Drain mash tun. Should gather 6 gallons

any help is greatly appreciated!

If you read the last step, he states:

"9. Somehow, I collected more than I planned. Perhaps added some additional water, but ended up with 10.5 gal. Couldn't boil it all from the start, so added it through boil."

So he did add too much water.

Also, if you get BYO, there was a really good article last year about making lambics. Although the author used extract for his brews, he had won multiple awards by doing so. His article was the basis for my Framboise Lambic that I currently have in the secondary (due to be bottled in August of this year).

I did read that, just thought it was really odd, to add 4+ gallons, I could see maybe adding a couple extra liters by accident, but 4 gallons! So you really do keep all the wort together in the mash tun till the end? Or do you drain the mash tun everytime you add water?

I did read that, just thought it was really odd, to add 4+ gallons, I could see maybe adding a couple extra liters by accident, but 4 gallons! So you really do keep all the wort together in the mash tun till the end? Or do you drain the mash tun everytime you add water?

It depends on the type of mash/sparge you are performing. There are ways of mashing with the full amount with no sparge water. However, the way that the recipe is written, it looks like it is a decoction mash where small amounts of the mash are pulled out, heated and then added back to raise the temperature by set increments.

hes doing a turbid mash to ensure a very dextrinous wort

a turbid mash is like a decoction mash schedule, however instead of grain you pull wort and boil it, additionally the first pull is boiled and removed generally

Also with this method a high volume of wort is produced and an extended boil is typically used to reduce to the final batch size, 5-6hrs boil time is not unheard of

Latest posts

Back