Ever have a credit card number stolen???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I thought I'd dodged the bullet - I ordered some stuff from AHS during "the window", but saw nothing on my card until last week - a $96 charge from beenverified.com, a company that does background checks. Am assuming that whoever harvested the numbers is doing that to get as much info on me as possible to move from credit card fraud to full on identity theft. Card cancelled, charge disputed, hopefully that'll be the end of it...

Hey,

I'm sure you are, but based on that info I would be doubling down on all of my accounts making sure (for a while) that your banks understand no changes are allowed to your account for x number of days/weeks.

That sniff using beenverified would make my skin crawl.

I've been the victim of fraud within the past 24 hours, and remembered seeing this thread here. It seems that AHS may still be having problems. This combined with the full week turnaround for order fullfillment will cause me not to order with them again :(

paradoxic said:
I've been the victim of fraud within the past 24 hours, and remembered seeing this thread here. It seems that AHS may still be having problems. This combined with the full week turnaround for order fullfillment will cause me not to order with them again :(

I wasn't exactly thrilled with what happened, but what in the hell makes you think it's AHS. The occurrences before were WAY too frequent to just be a coincidence... but now? Not even close.

Fraudulent credit card charges happen often enough, and this site has so many members, that during any given week, there must be dozens of members who experience the problem - it's just a statistical reality. You have a problem with their turnaround time? Fine. You plan on never dealing with them again? That's fine too - nobody can make you. But publicly implying that AHS is responsible for your charge when there's no reason at this point to believe there's still a breach is both idiotic and irresponsible - small businesses like this are people's livelihoods, and to wrecklessly continue damaging their reputation in such a carefree manner when the likelihood of that fraudulent charge being connected to them is almost nil... that's just absolutely disgusting behavior.

But publicly implying that AHS is responsible for your charge when there's no reason at this point to believe there's still a breach is both idiotic and irresponsible - small businesses like this are people's livelihoods, and to wrecklessly continue damaging their reputation in such a carefree manner when the likelihood of that fraudulent charge being connected to them is almost nil... that's just absolutely disgusting behavior.

He's not the only one still reporting problems. Sure credit card fraud is more rampant every day, but if there is still a pattern then there could stil be a problem.

If it helps, I recently had my credit card number jacked and I've never ordered from AHS.

Gremlyn1 said:
He's not the only one still reporting problems. Sure credit card fraud is more rampant every day, but if there is still a pattern then there could stil be a problem.

If it helps, I recently had my credit card number jacked and I've never ordered from AHS.

There have been a few reports, sure, but not nearly enough to suggest even the possibility of a pattern there. Regardless, most of them seem to be posted more as an attempt to remain vigilant in case a pattern DOES re-emerge, rather than as an accusation.

Interesting that you mentioned yours was compromised though - if you HAD used it at AHS recently, some people here would reach the conclusion that it's connected, even though it clearly isn't.

That being said, I never was entirely convinced of their explanation, largely because they seemed to arrive at it through exclusion (ie, "it can't be our fault, so it must be the processor"), but I haven't even seen a claim that they've actually been able to confirm it. But they offer a PayPal option and I don't have any issues as of yet with THEIR security, so even during the height of fraudulent activity, I had no problem purchasing from them if I needed to.

Take for example what I mentioned about budsgunsshop.com I ordered with them earlier this month, then one week later my card is hit with charges. Then that weekend they have a notice up that all CC Transactions are disabled while they investigate multiple claims of fraud. Then the next week a notice that they've improved/upgraded their CC Transaction system.
Its happening to many many online retailers. I think if its happened to you in the last week or two that it probably wasn't AHS since they just updated their systems. It was probably somewhere else with an older system. The fraudsters are probably exploiting some flaw in older systems and moving from one online retailer to another and grabbing info until they upgrade and then they move onto the next one.

This is why in general no matter how annoying it is you should always be upgrading your software, like Adobe Reader, Flash Player, MS Office, ect... fraudsters/hackers take advantage of the flaws in the old versions. Even good AntiVirus can't help you in some of those cases.

Some of the stolen CC rings have so many numbers that they can have your card info for quite a while before anyone attempts to make charges on it. The result is that people do the same thing that happens every year with flu shots, a few people are already infected before they get the shot, but because symptoms appear after the inoculation they conclude that the shot gave them the flu.

weagle05 said:
Some of the stolen CC rings have so many numbers that they can have your card info for quite a while before anyone attempts to make charges on it. The result is that people do the same thing that happens every year with flu shots, a few people are already infected before they get the shot, but because symptoms appear after the inoculation they conclude that the shot gave them the flu.

That's why I replaced my debit card even though there were no fraudulent charges at the time (yet).

Yes but it still makes very good sense to stay away from certain areas when there is a flu epidemic...

byzandula said:
Yes but it still makes very good sense to stay away from certain areas when there is a flu epidemic...

This is more like staying away from a certain area when there was RECENTLY a flu epidemic but all reliable sources indicate it's over, but you're going on the word of people on the Internet who have a regular seasonal flu with a typical rate of incidence, all because these few anecdotal examples think they might have that particular strain (which is perfectly natural - for a while after the Swine Flu stuff became old news, a great deal of people would freak out over every COLD they had).

Ultimately though, it's irrational, and everybody loses. You miss out on what otherwise might have been your first choice for a vacation destination, and they lose out on tourist dollars. All when you could have immunized yourself with a free vaccine called "PayPal".

This is more like staying away from a certain area when there was RECENTLY a flu epidemic but all reliable sources indicate it's over, but you're going on the word of people on the Internet who have a regular seasonal flu with a typical rate of incidence, all because these few anecdotal examples think they might have that particular strain (which is perfectly natural - for a while after the Swine Flu stuff became old news, a great deal of people would freak out over every COLD they had).

Ultimately though, it's irrational, and everybody loses. You miss out on what otherwise might have been your first choice for a vacation destination, and they lose out on tourist dollars. All when you could have immunized yourself with a free vaccine called "PayPal".

I think the rational people have spoken.

Well, I guess if you wait long enough, anything will happen. Got hit last night by some outfit that sells passports over the internet - bye bye checking balance.....

My wife and I have had to replace our cards probably a half dozen times in the last few years. Iit can happen anytime, anywhere.

We decided it was happening too often with a Citibank MasterCard and that maybe since that company is so large they have more problems with small-time fraud so we switched to Discover. That card was compromised within a couple of months and had to be changed.

Never use a debit card. If you are going to pay for anything with a card, it's only a matter of time before you have to change the card.

Also, your number is just as likely to be stolen from a point-of-sale system as it is to be stolen over the internet. When a store clerk swipes your card, where do you think the number is transmitted? Over the internet to the CC company's computers.

I wasn't exactly thrilled with what happened, but what in the hell makes you think it's AHS. The occurrences before were WAY too frequent to just be a coincidence... but now? Not even close.

Fraudulent credit card charges happen often enough, and this site has so many members, that during any given week, there must be dozens of members who experience the problem - it's just a statistical reality. You have a problem with their turnaround time? Fine. You plan on never dealing with them again? That's fine too - nobody can make you. But publicly implying that AHS is responsible for your charge when there's no reason at this point to believe there's still a breach is both idiotic and irresponsible - small businesses like this are people's livelihoods, and to wrecklessly continue damaging their reputation in such a carefree manner when the likelihood of that fraudulent charge being connected to them is almost nil... that's just absolutely disgusting behavior.

What makes me think it is no coincidence is that I've been using the same card for several years. I run an online business and place many orders each day from typically the same vendors using this card. When others have had this happen and the fraudulent charges were also made by UK vendors this is more then a coincidence. Not trying to destroy their business whatsoever. I respect small business more then most as my fiance and I both run separate small businesses. All I'm saying is I highly recommend using paypal when ordering from this company.

This happened to me too. 1 week after my card was "declined" from AHS, and I had to call and give them my number over the phone. I'm very careful with my cards, and this week I see a charge for "WITFEED" in the Ukraine. You better recheck your people, and your system AHS!

VERY VERY FISHY. I will not be ordering from AHS again any time soon. They have a crook in their midst, or a crook has access to their CC info.

BUYERS BEWARE! Check your accounts if you have ordered from AHS recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back