Thoughts on this Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaysus

Reaction score
I've brewed something real similar to this a few times, and have been generally pleased with the results - I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for improvement or sees any glaring flaws?

I am hoping to pick up the base grains over lunch today, and figured that a quick post couldn't hurt.

11 lbs. Maris Otter
.5 lbs. Crystal 120°L
.5 lbs. Black Patent
5 oz. Chocolate Malt

1 oz. EKG (Pellets, 5 %AA) 60 min.
1 oz. EKG (Pellets, 5 %AA) 30 min.
1 oz. EKG (Pellets, 5 %AA) 5 min.

Safale S-04

* 153° F for 45 minutes
* 170° F for 10 minutes

Thanks in advance, J

Have you ever added flaked oats to this recipe? I think it would help w body. I normally mash my stouts and porters at 156 for the same reason.

Good Luck!

You know, I've often considered it, but never tried it... this is as good a time as any to give it a shot - thanks!

I used a half pound of flaked barley in my coffee porter, but I haven't opened any yet as it's still conditioning. Should help with head and body as riverfrontbrewer suggested.

I've brewed something real similar to this a few times, and have been generally pleased with the results - I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for improvement or sees any glaring flaws?

I am hoping to pick up the base grains over lunch today, and figured that a quick post couldn't hurt.

11 lbs. Maris Otter
.5 lbs. Crystal 120°L
.5 lbs. Black Patent
5 oz. Chocolate Malt

1 oz. EKG (Pellets, 5 %AA) 60 min.
1 oz. EKG (Pellets, 5 %AA) 30 min.
1 oz. EKG (Pellets, 5 %AA) 5 min.

Safale S-04

* 153° F for 45 minutes
* 170° F for 10 minutes

Thanks in advance, J

The recipe looks good. The only I would change if I were brewing is
to use a different hop for the flavor addition, but that's just a personal
preference.

But I would use a British ale yeast that doesn't attenuate too much
for body. I usually use Wyeast London Ale III for its neutral flavor
as well as attenuating properties, but there are others. You are really
limited with the dry yeast as far as attenuation properties go.

I would hesitate to use oats. It's easy to use too much and the
fats in oats oxidize easily and lead to some rather unpleasant
stale flavors in beers. This is usually covered by the intense
flavor of dark malts but I otherwise avoid oats. Flaked barley
since you are doing a mash would add body, but I really think
the right yeast is the best way to get body.

Ray

I guess I have never heard that about oats Ray, but w that much black patent, I still think flaked oats are the way to go. As far as the yeast, I have never used that London Ale III. Personally, I have been using 05, Notty, or 1728 for stouts and porters.

Keep us updated on the final recipe and how it comes out.

Will do!

Thanks for the replies. I was mainly using the S-04 for the cost.... I am SO cheap. lol

I'll take a peak and see what they have when I get there but I do have some S-04 at home already.

I do not have any hops at home, I'll also poke around to see what they have for flavoring. I've used willamette and fuggle in the past there too.

I used WLP002 in mine and I don't think it attenuated enough, left the beer kind of sweet (FG 1.020). Never used London Ale III though, so I don't know what the attenuation is like with that one.

id use a lighter crystal malt, maybe ditch the 120 and sub half pound to a full pound of crystal 60.

Mash a bit higher around 156 and also i like flaked oats idea.

I would hesitate to use oats. It's easy to use too much and the
fats in oats oxidize easily and lead to some rather unpleasant
stale flavors in beers.

Ray

I had an oatmeal stout become oxidized after 6-7 months last year. I've never had an issue with oxidation before and I've bottled my fair share of batches. Maybe I did oxidize the beer during bottling or transfer but I'm curious to see if anyone else has ever had an oxidation problem when using oats.

Back