Immersion chiller for Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HossTheGreat

Reaction score
So I'm in the process of converting a keg to a boil kettle. My small 25' 3/8" immersion chiller just ain't big enough. For the time being, I'm still planning on only doing 5 gallon batches, however it's always possible that I may do 10 at some point. With that being said, I really don't want to mess with a march pump, plate chillers, or CFCs. I've got a pretty good system with my immersion chiller and a submersible pump in an ice water bath. So can anyone recommend an immersion chiller for a keggle that would be suitable for both a 5 or 10 gallon boil. I was looking at something like this one at morebeer. Does anyone have any experience with this one?

http://morebeer.com/view_product/19523//Wort_Chiller_-_SuperChiller_-_The_5_10_Split

That one looks good because it will probably span the entire keggle. I built my own 50' immersion chiller when I built my keggles. It's all one very tightly wrapped coil and it still sits above the wort level when I do 5 gallon batches. It has about 6 coils sticking out which I don't like because it's never fully sanitized unless I sanitize it pre boil. I haven't had any infections though, so I guess it's okay.

Either way...mine works perfect for 10 gallons. The one you linked to looks good to me.

My 25 foot 3/8 chiller that works fine for 10 gallon batches.

On mine, it doesn't reach up to the top of my kettle. I can put the entire thing inside the kettle and the curved piece only comes up to about half way. I thought about modifying it and extending it so that it will extend up and over the lip of the kettle so that I can attach the hoses.

as long as you cut out the top big enough to fit that sucker in,looks good.

but you may find it cheaper to build one. so easy to make,if you can get a good deal on some copper. took me all of 20 min to make mine and thats with a beer in hand.

50' of 3/8" copper is about $40-$50 on amazon.com Hose fittings are about $4-$5 each. So with a little time and some patience you could make the same thing for $60 and you can guarantee that it will fit since your building it.

50' of 3/8" copper is about $40-$50 on amazon.com Hose fittings are about $4-$5 each. So with a little time and some patience you could make the same thing for $60 and you can guarantee that it will fit since your building it.

Cool...just curious, would 1/2" tubing be that much more efficient than the 3/8"? Looks like there's about a $20 difference...would it be worth it? Also, has anyone had experience permanently mounting the chiller inside the keg? Just wondering what pros/cons or extra material I would need to accomplish that.

i have that morebeer 5/10 split and am very happy with it. a pump and the whirlpool attachment would get you down into fermenting temps faster, but this beast will do a good job standing still if agitated a bit while cooling.

Cool...just curious, would 1/2" tubing be that much more efficient than the 3/8"? Looks like there's about a $20 difference...would it be worth it? Also, has anyone had experience permanently mounting the chiller inside the keg? Just wondering what pros/cons or extra material I would need to accomplish that.

Although i did find this one for under $60. not a 5/10 split but 3/8" and 50' with welded hose fittings. not to bad if you ask me.

off hand i don't know the efficiency difference of those diameters.

As for mounting the chiller inside the keg, it would then be a heat exchanger (HEX). There is a thread debating HERMS vs. RIMS and alot of questions can be answered.

Thread

Back