Spicoli Smash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theacolyte

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP080
Yeast Starter
1L
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
5G
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
26.4 IBU
Color
4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
9 days @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
Sorachi Ace hops really take center stage. Strong citrus/pineapple flavors.
Spicoli Smash
Jeff Spicoli: That was my skull! I'm so wasted!

Sorachi Ace hops really take center stage. Strong citrus/pineapple flavors. Subtle malt punches through. Good summer beer, really light. Perfect for working outdoors, or if you just want to relax with something that won't make you drag your feet. If I were to pick a commercial beer to compare it to, it'd be Hoegaarden.

This is technically a 6A cream ale.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Pilsner Liquid Extract (3.5 SRM) Extract 100.00 %
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 20.8 IBU
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] (7 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
1.00 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Cream Ale Yeast Blend (White Labs #WLP080) Yeast-Ale

Measured Original Gravity: 1.042 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 3.90 %
Bitterness: 26.4 IBU
Calories: 185 cal/pint
Color: 4.0 SRM

Brewed this last weekend. Changed it up a bit and added 1oz or bitter orange peel in the last 5 min.

Fermenting right now, I expect it to be done by Saturday, will keg then and should have drinkable beer by next Saturday...or at least I hope so, because it's being served at the UofM/MSU game that day :drunk:

My only concern is that the hops could've been fresher.

My version seemed to be a hit. Emptied the keg in one day between two small parties. Even the BMC guys were into it. Pleasant orange/citrus aroma, just a hint of orange flavor. I think it mates well with the Sorachi hops. Everybody was saying it sorta tastes like Oberon.

Next time around I'm going to use 0.4oz hops at 60 min, and 0.6oz at 7min. I also found the hops were a little harsh when it was real cold, after warming up to 50*F it really mellowed out and became excellent. Keg was getting REAL warm by the end of the night and it was still tasting great.

I should also note my Sorachi was 10.8% AA.

Back