Bown Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What is it used in other than a brown porter? I got my numbers wrong when I made a brown porter... so now I have about 5lbs of brown malt... and I dont see it in ANY recepies :(

Anything dark and English, Imperial Stout, Mild, Brown Ale etc...

It's not very common anymore. And is sometimes reffered to as "Blown". IIRC, it's an English specialty derivation so, your chances are best found in those styles of yore.

Also, I think it's original intent was for use in Porter.

I made some for the Denny Conn bourbon vanilla imperial porter, but seeing as that won't be ready for maybe a year I'm going to try some homeroasted brown and amber malts in a few small batches of malty reds and browns over the next few months, to see if it's something I like.

I use brown malt in all my darker english beers, nut browns, milds, porters. I feel that brown malt really "makes" an english-style brown ale. Both the beer recipes in my drop-down use it.

If I had to choose between 3 specality malts forever more, it's be Crystal 55L, brown malt, and UK chocolate malt.

Anything from an amber to a stout. I've seen it called a darker form of Pale, but that's seriously wrong. You can use it as an alternative to Victory/Biscuit. Not a direct substitute, but a good flavor.

Back