2nd batch is fermenting...is a Big beer too bold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidsmakeyoucrazy

Reaction score
My 2nd batch is in the fermenter and my 1st is bottle conditioning. I want do do a Big Belgian so I can put my secondary to use, it has been sitting there in my brew equipment box and looking at me, wondering if I'm ever going to use it. I'd like to do a Trippel but I'm not sure it will have enough time to mature. I'd like to have this ready to drink by May.

Any suggestions? My first 2 batches were extract + steeping grains but I'm not afraid of doing a partial mash. My nearest LHBS is 70 miles away so I'll be ordering a kit most likely.

Go for it! Be bold. You might as well try something new. But do the beer service and let it sit. Patience is one of the important part of homebrewing. But regardless of if you choose to brew a Belgian or not, get that secondary out of the closet and put it to use! If not as a secondary as a primary. A large portion of the board recommends just using a primary, pending the style of beer your making and especially for ales. Though I don't know enough about longer fermentation. Is there a limit people have found for how long a beer can sit on a yeast cake?

To the first post,

Go for it. Yeah, use your secondary, but I recommend you get a couple more cases of bottles and once the beer clears whether in secondary or primary, bottle it. It's safer (less chance of light, oxidation, and contamination) if you get the brew in bottles than to leave it in carboys IMO. If you want a beer that's ready fast, do a simple brew. When I say simple, I say one that's not very complex in terms of alcohol/hops. Check this thread out https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/aging-beer-facts-myths-discussion-84005/ it's a great discussion on aging your brews. Technically, once your beer is done fermenting it can be bottle conditioned and drank as soon as it was carbonated, but beers with a high alcohol content are better candidates for long term aging. I'd say you would be safe by May, but it would be better in August, and probably better than that in December.

To the second post,

There is a lot of talk about brews sitting on yeast cakes and most of us homebrewers have found that autolyis is dang near a myth if not a guaranteed myth with most modern yeast strains. I've let brews sit in the primary for 2 months without any off flavors.

I'd brew it and let it sit on the cake for 3-4 weeks before bottling. It may not be at its peak in May, but it will certainly be okay. Stash half of them for next winter.

Back