My complete plan. Comments and suggestions welcome!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
I want to brew an ESB, and this would be my first solo batch, so I want to provide an overview of my plan so you guys can let me know if it sounds ok.

1. Steep 1 lb milled crystal malt in water. Remove when temp = 170°F. I'm thinking of using 60 Lovibond crystal malt here.
2. Stir six lbs of dried light malt extract into water. (is this DME ok? http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=16409)
3. Add 3 ounces of Kent Goldings hops
4. Boil 45 minutes, then add 1/2 ounce Kent Goldings
5. At 55 minutes, add 1/2 ounce Cascade hops for aroma
6. Initiate chilling at 60 minutes. Aerate with sterilized whisk when chilled.
7. Pitch ale yeast when temp is <78°F
8. Ferment in primary for 10 days.
9. Rack to secondary, ferment for three weeks.
10. Prime with 1/2 cup boiled honey (I prefer honey to brewers' corn syrup... personal preference) and bottle.

Any suggestions?

I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but I generally bring the water up to temp (155 - 160), add the crytal malt, and hold it there for 30-45 minutes. You can do it either way, though.

Otherwise, looks pretty straightforward. Looks like this is going to be pretty bitter, about 58 IBUs (just a tough high for the style). I might consider dropping the bittering hops a little bit, but that's your call.

I've never primed with honey, so I can't speak to that issue. Honey makes me nervous because batches can be a little different in terms of sugar content, I like corn sugar for the consistency.

But, looks like you're good!

the_bird said:
I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but I generally bring the water up to temp (155 - 160), add the crytal malt, and hold it there for 30-45 minutes. You can do it either way, though.

Otherwise, looks pretty straightforward. Looks like this is going to be pretty bitter, about 58 IBUs (just a tough high for the style). I might consider dropping the bittering hops a little bit, but that's your call.

I've never primed with honey, so I can't speak to that issue. Honey makes me nervous because batches can be a little different in terms of sugar content, I like corn sugar for the consistency.

But, looks like you're good!
Thanks for the feedback.

I think I'll drop 1/2 ounce of hops from t=0, and add it at t=30.

Upon reading Palmer's book, I'm wondering if adding a cold conditioning step woudl be worthwhile. I don't mind chill haze (it probably wouldn't even be noticable in an ESB), but he says that it is linked to stability issues. For the last week of secondary fermentation, could I surround the secondary with ice water?

Or would that just crash out the yeast and make it impossible for me to carbonate without repitching?

aekdbbop said:
Sounds like youre pretty basic steps to brew.. i assume your doing a 5 gal batch...
Yep... it'll be a five gallon batch.

I know it's basic, but I've only brewed with some friends before, and since I'll be doing this by myself I want to make sure that I'm doing everything that's appropriate for my skill level for my beer.

awesome.. yeah youre pretty much where i am.. im on #3... loving it.. and you have found the right place to ask any questions...

boo boo said:
Are you fermenting at 78f? If not then might I suggest that you wait and pitch your yeast at 68f. Your beer will thank you for it.
The short answer is that I'm fermenting at room temperature in my apartment, right now my thermometer says that its 73°F in here (my thermostat is set to 68°F... I can't help it). I suppose I can use the wet towel trick to bring the temperature down a few degrees...

I just pulled the pitching temperature out of Papazian. So I should pitch at 68°F?

Don't hurt to lower your brewing temps into the lower range for your yeast.
Your temps are reading 73 and when your yeast kicks into high gear, your fermenting temps will climb 5 degrees higher or so.
At the begining cycle of the yeast (respiration) your yeast will create more fussel alcohols and esters that won't be all that easy, if at all, to get rid of. These will affect the taste of your brew to a point.
Now I wouldn't sweat it, as you may not taste any difference by doing either way.
These, for the most part, will come in good time when you want to improve your brews. Have a little patience and read my sig.

Cheers

Back