Grape Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prey

Reaction score
Ok, I've started a 4 gallon batch of grape juice with baker's yeast for 2 days and on the third day I added nottingham dry ale yeast plus about 2 pounds of sugar into the mixture and then I shook it all up. What results do you guys think I will get because honestly I have no idea, thanks.

prey said:
Ok, I've started a 4 gallon batch of grape juice with baker's yeast for 2 days and on the third day I added nottingham dry ale yeast plus about 2 pounds of sugar into the mixture and then I shook it all up. What results do you guys think I will get because honestly I have no idea, thanks.

that's going to taste pretty bad. the baker's yeast will leave behind a very yeasty flavor.

-walker

Sounds like it's gonna be VERY nasty... But from this and your other posts I would guess the only goal is to have something with alcohol in it... It will have that but I dunno how much work it's gonna be to get the stuff down... ;)

Here's something to try for next time:

This is an easy recipe for homemade wine. You can choose whatever flavor you like but my favorite is the red. You will need a sterile milk jug, a large latex balloon and a rubber band to complete the project. This Wine is a bit stronger than regular table wine. Its great for cooking as well as drinking."
Original recipe yield: 1 gallon.

Prep Time:5 MinutesReady In:42 Days 5 MinutesServings:32 (change)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INGREDIENTS:
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
4 cups sugar
1 (12 fluid ounce) can frozen juice concentrate - any flavor except citrus, thawed
3 1/2 quarts cold water, or as needed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Combine the yeast, sugar and juice concentrate in a gallon jug. Fill the jug the rest of the way with cold water. Rinse out a large balloon, and fit it over the opening of the jug. Secure the balloon with a rubber band.
Place jug in a cool dark place. Within a day you will notice the balloon starting to expand. As the sugar turns to alcohol the gasses released will fill up the balloon. When the balloon is deflated back to size the wine is ready to drink. It takes about 6 weeks total. You can drink it sooner, but it will be sweeter and have less alcohol content.

Make sure that the juice concentrate is 100% juice (NOT with added high fructose corn syrup). A good one is Welch's 100% grape juice, but cran/rasperry is good too. This will be drinkable, not messy to make, and all the ingredients are legal. If you use a milk jug, make sure you clean it very well with very hot water. The balloon works like an airlock, releasing some co2, but not allowing oxygen to get in or other bugs.

Lorena

If you added table sugar it will give off a pretty harsh flavor when fermented. Sounds like you have ingredients to make some nice muffins for breakfast, though.

Hmmm, his profile says his b'day is 1977. 29 years old.
Anyway, that's the way I made my first wine except I used 3 cans of concentrate. It came out very strong and dry. I needed to sweeten to drink it. BUT, it makes a great wine cooler so I still make it for that.

Dave R said:
Hmmm, his profile says his b'day is 1977. 29 years old.
Anyway, that's the way I made my first wine except I used 3 cans of concentrate. It came out very strong and dry. I needed to sweeten to drink it. BUT, it makes a great wine cooler so I still make it for that.

In the other thread he came out and said he was 19.

He's 19? Jeez, I didn't know that. I did assume a college kid, though, because that's the kind of stuff "some people I know" did in college.

Lorena

Back