Temp control. No electricity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmo88

Reaction score
I'm an apt brewer and have a storage room outside my front door that I use as a fermentation room and a conditioning room. As the winter weather hits it is bringing my room temp to a steady 60-62F. Fantastic for fermentation. Not so great for bottle carbing. So, should I be concerned about 60F for carbing? If so, any ideas on stabilizing temp without access to electricity in that room?

You should be VERY concerned about carbing as . . . . it will not happen - at least for a long long time.

I would bring the carbing process into your apt.

Why not just put the bottles in a closet or something (inside your apt) for carbing? 66F+ recommended for a few weeks. If your at 60F, good luck, it may take a month or so.

At 60F?

I wouldn't say that it won't happen for a long long time. Maybe two weeks instead of one. I say this from personal experience. Sometimes I leave my conditioning bottles in the fermentation chamber, which can be in the low 60's, and it turns out just fine. In fact, the last two times I did this, the bottles were fully carbed when I checked them after a week.

Well I'll just bring several batches of beer inside at 70F for two weeks and then store them at 60F after they carb. Sound good? Resuspending the yeast of course...

That's a good plan - right after bottling rotate them inside for 2-3 weeks for carbonation, then they can go back out for storage. At 60 you will probably be waiting several weeks for carbonation, and may not even get it depending on the yeast strain.

I agree with the others; there's got to be somewhere inside that you can store two cases of beer at a warmer temp.

I moved them to my closet at 70F. The only problem is that I've bottled three 5gl batches within the past 2 weeks. Now my closet has six cases of beer in it. Oh well, I think all those beers look great on my wife's yoga mats and sewing supplies. Think she'll agree?
:fro:

Back