Earwigs eating my hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mux

Reaction score
Something has been eating my hops! I never saw any bugs during the day so I check them out tonight. Look at these ********. Earwigs- eating eating up my plants! What can I do to get rid of them?

image-4068991767.jpg

image-4200052171.jpg

image-3315309757.jpg

image-1774733911.jpg

Ahh ****, these things eat hops?! The last two years earwigs have invaded us. Up until then i don't think I've ever even seen one. Damn things are nocturnal so it might be tricky.

+1 to neem oil, I used a 3 in 1 from Organocide I picked up at HD. Mix according to directions and spray a nice heavy coat on all your leaves and some on the ground around your hop plants at dusk. Kill or flick off any earwigs you find and check back at night in a few days. If you see them again you can re spray. If that doesn't work then I know the sevin powder form says it will kill them. I ended up using them both a few months ago cause my plants were being chewed heavily. I now just spray with the organocide about once a month and haven't seen any earwigs in a while.

Good luck.

Im headed to the depot today! War has been declared.

I never saw earwigs attack anything but pets ears around here. But Aphids can be an unholy *****. Just go to a good garden supply & get a couple hundred lady bugs & spread them on the plants. They love to gorge themselves on tiny insects. I had to do that with my roses at the last house I owned. They might do well here. they'll stay there as long as the table is piled high! Really works too.

So I used the Organocide to control my earwig problem and it did but, my hops are now ready to harvest and I was wondering if I needed to clean them some way to remove the bug spray or will it not effect the beer?

Back