Best Canned Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know Vivant a few other brewers here in Michigan are going to the cans. They have a lot of benefits over glass(cost, no light penetration, etc) but I just worry about the BPA lining in the cans. Would rather not have to worry about this in my beer too. Just my 2c

Had a vivant the other night. I was quite surprised when the sever brought me a can. It was the Kludde belgian dark. A but sour but decent beer. Millkingit it's also canning her in the D.

I just had that one last weekend for the first time. I am not a huge fan of sours, but that one was pretty good. The Belgian IPA is good once you let it warm up a bit and the Abbey Ale was pretty good as well. Going out there this weekend for the Winter Beer Fest and I think we check out their brewery.

Have fun out there! I've heard a lot about Vivant. Perhaps I'd like the others more. The can was big at least that's a plus.

I picked up a mix 12 pack of Butternuts beer (solely because of the name) and was disappointed by everything but the Moo Thunder stout, which was quite good. I could barely make my way through the three Pork Slap pale ales, but YMMV. I might have been more impressed with it if it wasn't 20 bucks and change after tax...

As far as canned beers go, I'd have to pick DC Brau - The Citizen.

It gets pretty high marks for being a very "Belgian" American Belgian-Style beer.

It's also pretty damn delicious.

I'm on a British Milds kick, and one of my local bottle shops has a bunch of milds in cans. They're really tasty.

There's something else that we can't do with bottles without skunking, that we can with cans. At least in snowy Michigan....

IMG_02881.jpg

Chill em down.

best canned brew, well that's hard to pick just one..... some great ones are Surly, Oskar Blues, 21st Amendment, SNPA, Well's Bombardier, PU is pretty stellar in cans, as is Newcastle.

We don't get too much in the way of canned beer yet.

I like Oskar Blues. Southern Star also puts out some good stuff. I keep looking for the Newcastle cans but haven't seen it yet.

Is bpa lining something new in cans? I don't remember ever hearing about it before craft beers started canning. As for best canned beers, dales g'knight is my favorite.

I picked up a mix 12 pack of Butternuts beer (solely because of the name) and was disappointed by everything but the Moo Thunder stout, which was quite good. I could barely make my way through the three Pork Slap pale ales, but YMMV. I might have been more impressed with it if it wasn't 20 bucks and change after tax...

I'd rather have a Genny Cream Ale than a Porkslap. That **** was gross.

I also thought the Moo Thunder was a diacetyl bomb.

Fort George brewery in Astoria, OR cans some of their beers. Just released their sunrise oatmeal pale ale. Very good. They also have vortex IPA, 1811 lager, and cavatica stout in cans. Great beers.

Revvy, I just saw Cain's mild and bitter at my local store. Didn't grab them but they definitely caught my eye. Any good?

I have been drinking a lot of this:

bitter American.jpg

It's great IMHO, as of late it has taken over SNPA as my go to session beer.

Caldera IPA and Dales Little Yella Pils. 21st Amendment Black IPA is awesome too but, can't get it here.

Fort George brewery in Astoria, OR cans some of their beers. Just released their sunrise oatmeal pale ale. Very good. They also have vortex IPA, 1811 lager, and cavatica stout in cans. Great beers.

The Vortex is a great IPA and I just tried the Sunrise and the 1811 the other night. Fort George makes some great canned beers. My other favorite canned beers right now are 21st Amendment.

Totally off topic, but have you tried the Bourbon Barrel Cavatica? One of the local watering holes had it on tap but the keg went dry on the pint before mine. I was really looking forward to that beer!

When I was in CO in December I heard rumors that New Belgium was working on a beer specifically to release in tall boys. I can't verify any details though.

I have been drinking a lot of this:

View attachment 49409

It's great IMHO, as of late it has taken over SNPA as my go to session beer.

I've been going through a lot of the Bitter American too. Love the flavor and the fact I can drink more than a couple and still be OK.

As far as other canned beers I really like Dale's Pale Ale and the Surly offerings. My brother-in-law brought over a couple Young's Double Chocolate Stout in cans too that were good.

NateLTB said:
The Vortex is a great IPA and I just tried the Sunrise and the 1811 the other night. Fort George makes some great canned beers. My other favorite canned beers right now are 21st Amendment.

Totally off topic, but have you tried the Bourbon Barrel Cavatica? One of the local watering holes had it on tap but the keg went dry on the pint before mine. I was really looking forward to that beer!

I have not been able to try it. I've heard it was great though.

Wait until you all get Oskar Blues Deviant. Being canned now, they're doing a roll out here in Philly. It has the biggest hop aroma I have ever smelled/tasted in a beer period.

I had a 21st Amendment Hop Crisis the other night that was amazing. Something like 9.5% ABV, 85 IBUs and Barrel Aged all in a can. So good!

Back