How long can my brew live in the carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cfred024

Reaction score
It's a brown ale. Been in the carboy for roughly 2.5 weeks and krausen has already fallen back into beer, (about 4 days ago I assume). Can I wait to bottle until the weekend, (4 days from now)? Any advice would be appreciated!

I'm fairly new to brewing but I have left one up to a month and still bottled fine.

Doing one now that calls for a month in the secondary before bottling

It's a brown ale. Been in the carboy for roughly 2.5 weeks and krausen has already fallen back into beer, (about 4 days ago I assume). Can I wait to bottle until the weekend, (4 days from now)? Any advice would be appreciated!

FWIW, I try to leave my beers in the primary for about 3 weeks before racking to keg or bottling. The longer (within reason) the better.

You'll be fine, actually what you are doing is exactly what I would recommend.

I leave ALL my brews in primary for 3-4 weeks. I feel they come out "cleaner" if I wait longer, rather than getting them bottled as soon as they are finished fermenting.

I just read a post where someone had one in a carboy for 227 days before bottling and it was good. I would not recommend trying to go that long.:rolleyes:

Your beer will be fine I leave mine up to a month in Primary. It's only when you brew Hefs or IPA's that you want to drink it fresh and a couple of weeks would then suffice.

You can leave it in the carboy for months as long as your sanitation regimen was solid and you introduce no oxygen (ie. the airlock does not dry out). I had a porter in the carboy for 4 months once because I had no time to get to it. It was one of the best batches I had ever had.

I leave ALL my beers in the primary for 4 weeks regardless.

Most of my brews get 4 weeks in the primary, because I have 4 fermenters, so I just rotate through them. If I get busy and cannot bottle, they sit an extra week. For my Belgian brews, I don't even look at them for at least 6 weeks.

Back