Blackened IPA didn't hit proj ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robaincltnc

Reaction score
2 weeks ago I brewed a Rogue Blackened Brutal Bitter which has a projected APV af 6.5%. I had 5.5ish gallons in primary fermenter. After the the brew just before pitching yeast the gravity was around 1.058 (projected was supposed to be 1.066-8). It fermented in my wine cooler at an average of 67degree with safeale 5. When I checked the gravity yesterday it was only 1.024. I'm wondering if it stalled somewhere along the way? anyway, I went ahead and sent to secondary as I would like to get brewing my next batch. Is there anyway to kickstart the fermentation again or am i stuck with a low gravity black ipa (4.45%)?

I think it may've needed more time in primary. Did you take one test,or more? 1 test wouldn't tell the whole story. It'll be harder to get it to finish off the yeast cake.

1. like mentioned above, you have to take hydrometer readings for 3 days in a row to ensure that fermentation is complete

2. two weeks doesn't sound like enough time to complete a 6.5% beer at 67 degrees. probably needs 4 weeks in the primary.

3. did the beer still look cloudy with yeast. i bet it did.

4. let it finish fermenting in secondary before dry hopping. check with hydrometer.

5. let the beer get REALLY clear before you add any dry hops. you should probably wait a week after fermentation is complete before adding dry hops.

If it was still cloudy going into secondary,you might be able to rouse the yeast by gently swirling it,& raising the temp a little.

This was an extract recipe from more beer. Instructions said to ferment 10-15 days at ideal temp of 68deg. Do I need more yeast? If so, a whole safeale5 package or just some of it? Thanks for your help!

You don't need to add more yeast. There should be plenty. What kind of temperature range are you getting with your wine cooler?

When I go from cooking to primary there should have been plenty of air. The fellow at more beer suggested more yeast. I added it yesterday. I fermented at 68deg

Back