Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gclay said:
I have a new number one Fruli Strawberry Wheat. I don't know if it was a bad bottle or it's supposed to smell like puke but I couldn't even get my nose close enough to take a sip. I hope it was a bad bottle because they advertise the world beer awards on the bottle, I don't see this ever winning an award.

That WAS definitely a bad bottle, but it's a garbage beer anyways. There's no beer character to it whatsoever - it just tastes like a bit of artificial strawberry flavoring in carbonated water.

DFH Sah Tea or whatever it is. Tastes like cloves and it was like 12 bucks for a pint.

Thank you, I couldn't remember the name of it. Awful.

As much as I like Sam C. and a few of his beers, the majority of DFH tastes like some goofy homebrew experiment that should have been dumped to me.

Labatt's products are uniformly dreadful. You will crave a Bud after trying a Labatt Blue.

Old Speckled Hen - I'm still tasting the funk bomb that comes from bad beer in a clear bottle! How it gets anything other than an 'F' on beer advocate is beyond me. I've had two separate examples as I thought the first was an anomaly - no third time for me thanks...

makomachine said:
Old Speckled Hen - I'm still tasting the funk bomb that comes from bad beer in a clear bottle! How it gets anything other than an 'F' on beer advocate is beyond me. I've had two separate examples as I thought the first was an anomaly - no third time for me thanks...

100% agree

slowbie said:
Close call between Miracle off 28th Street by Schmohz and Magic Hat #9.

I think magic hat #9 is pretty good. What dont you like about it? I have noticed a huge difference with that beer from tap and bottle.

No contest, it is Dogfish Head Punkin. After close to 40 years of drinking beer that is the first beer I've ever had to spit out and then go rinse my mouth with water.

Do you like any pumpkin beers or is it this just this one you don't like ? I am not a huge fan of pumpkin beers but I think this is one of the better ones I have had. Not that I have had many.

makomachine said:

I won't drink it in the bottle. Have had it on nitro tap and in can and it was great in both cases.

Call me crazy but I hate Fat Tire. I've ordered it twice and had to send it back both times. Tons of people love that stuff though.

I call it FLAT Tire

Call me crazy but I hate Fat Tire. I've ordered it twice and had to send it back both times. Tons of people love that stuff though.

I call it FLAT Tire

I don't hate it but I still to this day dont understand why people like it so much. I don't find anything redeeming about it.

I don't hate it but I still to this day dont understand why people like it so much. I don't find anything redeeming about it.

I used to love Fat Tire before I started homebrewing, now I find it thin and flavorless. But I made a FT clone that I like a lot. I enjoy the breadiness of both (FT and my clone) but my tastes must be calling for added hops now.

Do you like any pumpkin beers or is it this just this one you don't like ? I am not a huge fan of pumpkin beers but I think this is one of the better ones I have had. Not that I have had many.
It's far from my favorite style but I have had a couple that were not terrible. A brewer friend of mine had a batch at her brewpub go sour somehow so she couldn't sell it. It was a fantastic beer, even my beer hating son loved it.
In all honesty I haven't had a DFH beer that I would buy again.

100% agree
Old speckled hen.....if find one in a can, anything in a clear bottle shouldn't be drank(I'm sure we all know why)......if your lucky you can order it in a can, it's a good brew... Just not in a clear bottle..

Rock bottom brewery in Indianapolis. Something called a hop bomb. The name should have tipped my off. I now use less hops because of that experience. Just for the record I did finish it.

Hands down, Milwaukee's Best Ice.

Because someone bought us 10 cases of it and we were in college, self-explanitory

Being from Maryland, gotta hit up the Natty Boh sometimes, even tho it is horrible....

freebeertomorrow said:
Laser malt beverage was probably the worst. Though a skunked Pilsner Urquell from a pick-a-six store had me hollering "Feet, it tastes like Feet!" all night. Haven't had one since.

Haha yep. I think Laser might be the worst beer that hadn't technically gone bad.

TANSTAAFB said:
Oly Gold Light. Like Olympia wasn't bad enough. I worked as a plumbers helper for a cantankerous old fart who started drinking it first thing in the morning and drank it all day...until he could get home and start mixing drinks. Over 5 years I think I tried it 3-4 times when we were out on a BFE job site and I ran out of EVERYTHING else to drink. I never got all the way through a can. I did turn him on to Guinness...that was pretty funny to watch...he could drink a case of OGL but 2 Guinness Big Boppers and he was pissed :D

That doesn't make sense. Guinness is below 4% abv, must have been the placebo effect

McMalty said:
That doesn't make sense. Guinness is below 4% abv, must have been the placebo effect

Yeah I tell people that is my lite beer and they laugh. I guess the BMC = light in color with light in alcohol. Give em a IIPA or a Triple and see what they think heheh.

It's a toss up between PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon) and Colt 45.

The colt 45 was one of the first beers I had. I was over at my cousins house spending the night and obviously underage. My cousins live in boyfriend drank the stuff so late at night we sneaked downstairs and grabbed one out of the fridge. Very disgusting.

The PBR I had about last year. It is one of my brother in-laws favorites and I was desperately needing a beer. Next time, I'll settle for something better such as water.

Thunderhead IPA by Pyramid. Could have been skunked. Absolutely horrible. After that probably Tecate though Old Milwaukee and the current version of Rolling Rock(which I used to love before they sold) are pretty close behind. MGD is also just effing terrible.

St Peters Organic Ale.

It has a kick ass bottle, looks like an old medicine bottle or something. Unfortunately the bottles are filled with piss.

Bicycle Beer. Bright orange, tasted like crap, and the liquor store gave you a free case with any purchase. ANY purchase. Buy a 6-pack? Here's your Bicycle beer.

It was a combined energy drink/ beer that was around in the early 90s, waaay predating those caffeine-and-alcohol enriched alcopops that are around today. That stuff was horrible. Once my roommate and I got stuck with a case we could barely give it away.

St Peters Organic Ale.

It has a kick ass bottle, looks like an old medicine bottle or something. Unfortunately the bottles are filled with piss.

I bought one at a premium price, i should have known,skunk in the green bottle, cool bottle to use now but the beer was ok.Im not a big fan of english but the *****y guy telling me how awsome it was at a Hy-vee store defeniatly should have just been a door to door salesman because he didnt have a clue. Im pretty shure he didnt drink and when he did it was probably zima.:D:mug: I cant wait to go back there and put his foot in his mouth for him.Ill start by asking him what his favorite beer is, then i will just further amuse myself.Beer snob or not, i cant stand being lied to.
Plus he was full of vinegar! I think he started making a cacoon of plastic and having a nozzle at the end of his head too. I could be wrong though.He may have been better fit in the womens hygeine department though.. ..just sayin???

Thought I'd be the first to mention King Kobra...because no one can be so desperate and buy the stuff.

My last year in college and I just finished with an 8 hour test (the fundamentals of engineering). I immediately walked outside to the nearest gas station, bought the cheapest 40 that wasn't Steel Reserve and sat on the curb waiting for my ride, drinking out of a paper bag. I think I would have been better off using the bag as a filter, at least then it would have been wet a$$ with a hint of brown bag.

Lone Star. It was part of the initiation to Little Woodrow's Big 50 Club.

I had to squeeze a lime in it and make believe it was a Dos Equis.

Stay thirsty my friend.
:D

Thunderhead IPA by Pyramid. Could have been skunked. Absolutely horrible. After that probably Tecate though Old Milwaukee and the current version of Rolling Rock(which I used to love before they sold) are pretty close behind. MGD is also just effing terrible.

Oh yeah I remember you telling me this story of the Thunderhead IPA. If I ever see it I will stay away from it.........far away.

Rolling Rock used to be one of my go to beers in my early 20's before they sold out to to AB I believe. Something in that recipe changed. It is absolutely terrible and I have no idea how they sell it anymore.

Oh yeah I remember you telling me this story of the Thunderhead IPA. If I ever see it I will stay away from it.........far away.

Rolling Rock used to be one of my go to beers in my early 20's before they sold out to to AB I believe. Something in that recipe changed. It is absolutely terrible and I have no idea how they sell it anymore.

Its not made in Latrobe anymore. They shut down the brewery and probably messed with the recipe as well.

Its not made in Latrobe anymore. They shut down the brewery and probably messed with the recipe as well.

They absolutely messed up the recipe. My question is always, "why did they change the recipe"? Don't you buy a beer for the recipe? I am sure it has something to do with cost savings and buying inferior ingredients.

What a shame. It was a good beer. :(

Do you have any idea what become of the brewery after they shut it down?

I drank my Stein Bier, I was so proud of it. It came out horrid! Like strait copper in your mouth, it is crystal clear and a nice copper color. But just taste like you have a mouth full of pennies. My girlfriend said my face looked so weird when I first tasted it, sad stuff.

Land shark lager. Holy crap. Perhaps bottled is better but the can was a nightmare in a can. I would have to put Wild Blue in there as well. Shame on me for not reading carefully and thinking it was a Flying Dog product!

Thank you, I couldn't remember the name of it. Awful.

As much as I like Sam C. and a few of his beers, the majority of DFH tastes like some goofy homebrew experiment that should have been dumped to me.

Labatt's products are uniformly dreadful. You will crave a Bud after trying a Labatt Blue.

Labatt Blue >>>>>> Bud

Shiner's ruby redbird. It's a lager mad with ruby red grapefruit and ginger. It sounds intriguing enough, but boy am I glad that I only bought a pint instead of a six pack. You know how when you have vomited in the past and will then proceed to actively avoid any food that reminds you of that violent ejection of foulness? Well, the first sip reminded me of the morning after a rather extensive evening journey into the world of mead and braggot. I had taken a large drink of grapefruit juice thinking good old vitamin C would help, but once it had hit my traitorous stomach, it proceeded to the nearest exit in a hasty fashion. That grapefruit taste laced with bile will stay with me to my dying day, and god help me the ruby redbird tasted exactly like that. So from my point of view I paid four bucks for a drink of vomit. I freely admit my visceral negative response was very subjective, so anyone that hasn't puked up grapefruit juice before might want to give it a shot. The beer, I mean.

I actually searched this thread to see if anyone else had hated this beer. Shiner's Ruby Red is also the worst I've had. Billed as having ginger and grapefruit I was worried I'd be wasting my money, but I enjoyed their other seasonals so I grabbed a six pack. It just had way to much ginger taste, and lacked the grapefruit touch I expected. I actually love ginger, but hated drinking it in a beer. It just didn't work for me. My brothers liked it though, so they disposed of the rest of the six pack. I've shared my beer before, but this was the first time I actively tried to get beer I bought out of my house,.

Back