Irish Red Recipe- Suggestions welcome.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel4616

Reaction score
Me and a friend are brewing Irish Red Ales and having a little competition. I am going with the classic Irish Red style. I have been reading up on this a lot and have almost completed my recipe:

GRAINS
2-Row : 7lbs
M.Otter : 3lbs
Roasted Barley : 2-4oz @ Mashout
Crystal 40L : 0.5lbs
CaraRed : 0.5lbs

HOPS
Northdown Bittering @ 60 mins

YEAST
US-05

EXTRA
Irish Moss
Sugar? *I want it to have the typical Irish Red dryness*

Anyhelp is appreciated greatly, I was going to mash on the higher side to keep it a little thicker, around 154. Two weeks in primary, one week in secondary.
Going to start this beer in a few weeks and with any luck this will be my first beer I will keg. The ones in bottles I want to be very clear with a bright head. Any tips on getting a good reddish hue and a nice clear beer I will LOVE to hear.

Not too sure on the Northdown hops, maybe use some EKG or Fuggle, anyone have anythoughts on the sugar to dry it up a little? Any suggestions on my grain bill? SRM with the above grain bill using 4oz of Roasted Barley is 18.18.

If you want it drier, you shouldn't be mashing at high as 154, but more like 150 or 148. Mashing higher will make it more sweet. I might also suggest replacing the C40 with a smaller or similar amount of higher-range crystal, I use C150 in my irish red, I feel it gives it a better red hue.

Gotcha, will boil at 148-150, just wanted a little bit of mouthfeel, but I am more concerned with the color and flavor. Also, would maybe 4oz of the C100 or C150 be enough or too much?

Thanks btw on quick reply.

If you want some extra mouthfeel, toss in some flaked barley. my irish red looks like this (in percentages, I dont' have my beersmith here, I'm at work)

MO: 81%
C150: 5%
Flaked Barley: 3%
Roasted Barley: 1%

"Irish red" flavor comes from Irish Yeast. There is no Dry Irish yeast, I would think the right yeast would be necessary to make a good Irish Red.

I read that the yeast that should be used should give off as little esters as possible, thats why I chose US-05. Irish Reds from what I understand have VERY little "yeast" flavors. Any suggestions if you think that US-05 is a poor choice?

Back