Boddington's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I picked up a 4 can pack of Boddington's at my supermarket liquor store today.

Pardon my ignorance (I have been drinking beer for over 30 years and have tried to be adventurous about it) but what is British pub beer supposed to taste like?

This stuff wasn't really all that bad, but I guess I was surprised by how mild it was and how little hop flavor/aroma/bitterness it had. I sort of get the impression you could drink a lot of it at one sitting if you were so inclined.

Anyway, I have three cans left, so I guess I'll try some more tomorrow.

mmditter said:
This stuff wasn't really all that bad, but I guess I was surprised by how mild it was and how little hop flavor/aroma/bitterness it had. I sort of get the impression you could drink a lot of it at one sitting if you were so inclined.
You hit the nail on the head!

Yep.

That is what I got out of it too. I think (UK boys correct me if I'm wrong) but Boddies is just supposed to be a session beer along the lines of our BMC stuff, but of course better.

I love Boddington's, especially served on draft. Creamy goodness.

These cans have some sort of a gizmo floating inside that makes it spray all over the place when you open it. Apparently it's supposed to mix air into the beer to make it similar to the way it's served in a pub in England. It worked I guess- nice creamy head.

mmditter said:
These cans have some sort of a gizmo floating inside that makes it spray all over the place when you open it. Apparently it's supposed to mix air into the beer to make it similar to the way it's served in a pub in England. It worked I guess- nice creamy head.
Its a widget. Same thing inside the Guinness cans to imitate the nitro pour.

Dude said:
Yep.

That is what I got out of it too. I think (UK boys correct me if I'm wrong) but Boddies is just supposed to be a session beer along the lines of our BMC stuff, but of course better.

I love Boddington's, especially served on draft. Creamy goodness.

Spot on! 'Boddies' is just an easy drinking low ABV 'ale' (i.e. non lager). It's okay - I drink a fair bit of it (in cans) as it's often a good price by the case.

It was advertised as 'the cream of Manchester' before the brewery was sold and production moved.

One of my all-time favorite brews. I love watching the head form when I pour a glass of it...brings a smile to my face every time. Sometimes when I'm feelin' frisky at the pub I'll order a Bumblebee (1/2 Boddy 1/2 Guinness). The smoothness. :rockin:

I even named one of my fish Boddy. :D
6cfee35b.jpg

I took this picture about two years ago when I found out 'he' was a 'she'. Tank is nasty but you can sort of make out the eggs on the large rock. The li'l b*tch in the bottom right couldn't get along with Boddy after that day and I had to separate them. Grrrrr [/proud father]

Back