Tri Clamp Fermenator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can unscrew the ball valves I'm sure you have Swagman make you some tri's to fit. I don't see why you couldn't

BTW, who is "They"?

I have not seen a "kit" for a Blichmann that will turn it into a tri-clamp model. All I have seen is a $115 add on so you can have your blow off Tri-clamp. I think with some creativity and some McMaster searching you can create your own kit for a lot less than what they would offer.

Ron,

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Blichmann uses a weldless connection. If that is true couldn't you remove what is there and make up a weldless kit for a NPT threaded output and use a FNPT to Tri-clover adapter from KLG Stainless or Swagman?

Does anybody have one with Tri's?

Blichman add says weld free interior. I'm wondering how they (Blichman) install the Tri's.

Ask them.
I've Emailed Blickmann and they reply pretty quick with reasonable answers.

What blew my mind however, was that a Chinese Company sent me pictures of the Blichmann line of fermenters when I inquired about a fermenter.
They even had the Blichmann stickers on 'em.

Sure it can be done. I have the 14 gallon Fermenator and I switched out the dump to a KF25 vacuum flanged beast. I had a 90 welded in and modified a ball valve to work. It's robust and dumps fast. I didn't bother with the racking valve as that one seemed to work well without triclamps. Triclamps aren't worth the additional cost IMO but if you've got some hardware lying around then why not? I posted a pic awhile ago, let me see if I can find it.

I've been looking for the pic for the last hour. There was a thread I posted it in. There was also a thread with a chick flashing us getting off the chairlift that the same picture was hosted in. I'll keep looking.

Here's the pic I originally posted:
photo-4.jpg

No it's a bored-through Swagelok fitting I machined and had welded into place. I run a K-type thermocouple up in there with teflon ferrules so I don't crush the thermocouple. Works great and has never leaked. I always know the temperature of the liquid, not the outside of the conical or the ambient atmosphere around the conical. You'd be surprised how much different the temps are from outside to inside.

ID is 1" IIRC. You are gonna need a KF25 90 degree elbow and machine off one side. The machined off side will be welded into the bottom of the conical so make sure you have someone who can weld pinhole free. Any welder who routines welds for vacuum applications is able to do so. The local mexican down the street isn't gonna cut it. Then you need two KF25 stubs and you'll weld those into your Blichmann or similar ball valve. I went with Swagelok as they have a ball valve with weld sockets so I just got a set of weld sockets and had my guy go to town. You can machine out the pipe fittings of your Blichmann ball valve to accept the tube stubs. Next you'll need KF25 clamps and red silicone o-rings for the KF flanges. I got the tube stubs and 90 from MDC in Hayward CA but you might be able to find them on ebay.

Ask them.
What blew my mind however, was that a Chinese Company sent me pictures of the Blichmann line of fermenters when I inquired about a fermenter.
They even had the Blichmann stickers on 'em.

Wow...no joy in Mudville. There was a little glimmer of hope down inside that wanted to believe they were proudly made in the USA.

Back