Bottle storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guscampag

Reaction score
Okay, This may be a dumb idea, but what the heck? I'll ask anyway. It never stopped me before.
I have made quite a few batches of wine lately and storage is an issue. I'm about out of room for storage especially for laying down the bottles. Is it possible and has anyone tried storing bottles upside down in used wine boxes that could be stacked up. Or will they manage to leak out the corks? That would certainly keep the corks wet.
Thanks.

If you're going to store them in boxes anyway, try finding boxes that will hold the bottles on their sides and just put a bit of padding in there to keep them from rolling around. If you can find heavy duty cardboard it would be good, but if you could find some old wooden apple crates that would probably be better. The only bad thing would be that you could not tell if the bottles were pushing out the corks or leaking until it was too late.

This brings up a question on an idea I had of making a wine storage rack out of a sincle 1x6.

My plan was to use a hole drill and drill appropriately sized holes at a slight angle about 2 maybe 3 inches apart, then stick the top of a bottle in so the bottle sits sidewise as it should, staggering the bottles from left to right side of the board, so I could simply screw a board to an exposed floor joist. Any chance this would hurt the neck? You could store a couple dozen bottles with nothing more than a 1x6 or 1x4 board.

If you have the wine boxes, why not just put the bottles in the box and store the box on its side?

Go to your local gas station or store and ask for wine bottle boxes. They are sectioned with a slot for each bottle. This allows you to fill the box and then safely turn it on its side. Almost no dif than a wine rack. Good luck and glad to see your biggest problem is what to do with all the drink =)))

Thanks,
that's actually what I have been doing. I am just afraid of stacking them more than 2 or possibly 3 high.
It's worked okay so far though.
Youre right, It's not a bad problem to have.
hehe

wine comes stacked in pallet loads with nothing but the cardboard box to support the stack. wine bottles are pretty strong though I don't know the limit when storing them on their side.

Go to your local gas station or store and ask for wine bottle boxes. They are sectioned with a slot for each bottle. This allows you to fill the box and then safely turn it on its side. Almost no dif than a wine rack. Good luck and glad to see your biggest problem is what to do with all the drink =)))

Why would a gas station be a place to get wine boxes???????

Why would a gas station be a place to get wine boxes???????

Oh seems like all our stations around here carry cheap wine. So they get alot in. Its where I get my beer boxes and six pack carriers from. Some distributors carry extra boxes & 6 pack bottle holders and leave them at some stores also.

I've been storing wine on its side in plastic tubs in my basement. I get the flatter ones so that the bottles don't get layered more than 2-3 deep. No problems or accidents so far. I think the tubs (with lids) also tend to help create more thermal mass and keep the wine a more uniform temperature over the course of the day. Mine are all in the corner of my basement away from windows/dryer/etc., so it is already stable, but it can't hurt to create an even more stable environment. Also, my basement gets a bit damp when it is hellish wet out, and keeping the wine in the tubs keeps everything dry for me.

Back