Fireproof Kettle Insulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musketear

Reaction score
I have a turkey roaster with propane setup, but the kettle I mash and brew in is not insulated. What kind of insulation could I wrap my pot in that would not pose a fire risk?

Hmm.... The only thing I can think of is to wrap it in heating duct tape or something. Or maybe I could wrap some cheap sheet metal around it as a "full metal jacket" :)

Do a search on "stovetop boiling", there was a long thread where people researched different materials and methods and posted results.

Eric

Bobby, I used that stuff on a big oven build a few years ago. It's slightly flexible, but it will crease/break with minimal force. A metal jacket will help immensely.

There was a similar thread a few days ago where the OP mentioned using a Welding Blanket... I have no idea about the validity, but was hopeful. The thread dropped out of sight pretty quickly without many responses.

Ed

This might work, Kaowool. I think this is the same type material that I recently got from Hotsy for my Hot Water Pressure Washer. It lines the inside between the coil and outer jacket. Works great, don't burn the paint off. It is almost like a fiberglass blanket, would need some type of covering to keep it protected.

I got mine from Hotsy, but here is a link to Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kaowool-Ceramic...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20adfc7198

Back