Drip irrigation valve confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkeusch

Reaction score
Can anyone out there advise me on this? I put in four hop plants this fall and am planning to install a little drip system for them next spring. I've done lots of web serfing and think I get it except for the valve. Apparently low flow is a real issue with these solenoid-operated diaphragm valves typically used for irrigation systems. Because I am only watering four plants, my flow will be extremely low. I'm thinking I will have two 0.5 gal/hour emitters for each plant, so that is 8x.5/60=0.07 gal/min. When I look at drip irrigation valves at places like Rain Bird, even the low flow valves have a listed "bottom-of-the-range" of .2 gpm. If necessary I can extend this thing to the rose garden and increase my design flow, but I digress...
Now, to add to the confusion, I saw a thread on this very forum that described using one of these all-in-one timer/valves (hose-end timer) that you would install on a hose bib and connect your drip main to the discharge and it can be programmed for whatever you want your watering schedule to be, same as you would do with a separate controller connected to a valve.
They seem to indicate these will work for sprinklers and drip systems alike.
So, how does this thing avoid all the issues that plague the valve designers?

I have my whole drip system on a standard rainbird timer and 3/4 inch valves. The system came with pressure regulators. Seems to be working great. This is the 4th year its been installed with no problems.

Look in to getting pressure compensated emitters or try a drip line made by netafim, which have them standard. It has emitters every 12 inches and you can place it in a grid in your planting area. Also, when using drip, be sure to set it up in a loop so that you get equal water distribution.
If you are planting in pots, then you can just have a blow off emitter to help regulate pressure at the end of the line set to go into a bucket or something and you can use that water elsewhere.

-your friendly neighborhood irrigation professional

Back