First cider I added 2 kilos of sugar not 2 lbs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carguy3507

Reaction score
So I decided to make the caramel apple cider described in this forum. However I ended up adding 2 kilos of sugar instead of 2 lbs. the recipe calls for:drunk:. I pitched the yeast late Thursday night and by the next morning it was working away.I haven't take any gravity readings so far.

Do I need to worry about adding the extra sugar? Will it hurt anything? I don't care if the cider ends up stronger than normal. I guess I could just double the recipe buy more juice and get another carboy going but I really don't want that much for my first batch.

that is a lot of sugar. if it ferments out (which, it probably will), it'll be around 12%.

it is going to be very alcoholic and I can't see it being very good, but who knows.

Thanks for the reply.

Can I do a taste test in a few days and then dilute it with more apple juice if necessary? Would I lose anything by waiting it out?
I'm thinking if it is fine I could go ahead and bottle it and if it's horrible just add more apple juice and let it restart and finish.

You could kill off fermentation early with some campden tablets, but I would think that will still make for a pretty sweet cider. This is actually a good deal of practice for you. You will want to sample to the point it's a good mix if alcohol versus sweetness, then kill the fermentation. Note that you won't be able to bottle condition if you do that, but you could keg if wanted, and perhaps save the taste.

Back