ageing my first beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefshaffer

Reaction score
I am ageing my first beer its a high avg pumpkin beer the first time brewing it there was way too much unfermented sugar left in the beer after 2 weeks in secondary fermentation so I thought that ageing it would dry it out a bit 8-10 months is where I'm going to start but plz let me know any tips or tricks if you have them

chefshaffer said:
I am ageing my first beer its a high avg pumpkin beer the first time brewing it there was way too much unfermented sugar left in the beer after 2 weeks in secondary fermentation so I thought that ageing it would dry it out a bit 8-10 months is where I'm going to start but plz let me know any tips or tricks if you have them

8-10 months? That's like mead or barley wine time. I'd say a month at the most in the secondary @1.070's. How are you coming up with there being too much unfermented sugar? Is it too sweet?

What was your anticipated final gravity? What's your recipe and yeast strain? It sounds like you got pretty good attenuation. You could try hitting it with a fresh pitch of yeast or raise the temp 10 degrees but I don't think you're going to see a substantial drop in gravity, .010 seems pretty low for most pumpkin recipes I have seen. I think of pumpkin ale as a full bodied style with a fair amount of residual sweetness to balance the spices.

Your gravities sound pretty good, you probably don't want to thin it out too much. I'd just bottle and give it a month. I like to bottle age, clears up fermenters ;)

Back